• Advertisement

No top speed on 4jX1

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

No top speed on 4jX1

Postby FaisalN » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:26 am

Hey guys

Imported my 2000 Bighorn from Japan with 3.0 TDI 4JX1.

Used it for a long driver in both tarmac and jungle..... the car drives expectionally and do not have any regrets for investing in an ISUZU excellent drive and feel in rough roads.

i have a question
the car as follows::
carnks perfect
pick up power perfect
smoke normal
consumption normal
Temp guage Normal

good speed to 110kph no problem @ 3200 rpm but the ravs up to 4200 and still doing 140KPH or little less.....

Can some1 advice what need to be checked and repaired or something....

Can anybody tell me coulk dit be the ratio or speed governior

What abt you guys how is the car speeding any one have any specific information on the sam,e..............

thanks for the help folks

Faisal
faisal.nayani@gmail.com
FaisalN
Isuzu Baby

City: Dar es salaam
Vehicle: 2000 Isuzu Bighorn ex-Japan UBS73GW

Re: No top speed on 4jX1

Postby pig75 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Those rpm/speed figures sound like it's not in overdrive. As i don't own a auto Isuzu i can't be sure
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby Captcol » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 am

mine is a 4jg2 and doesn't rev over 3900rpm, at 140kph my truck would be getting a little floaty to be overly comfortable, had it upto 130 under completely safe and legal conditions (it wasn't but trying to be responsible when i wasn't) and wouldn't want to push it much past that to be honest.
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby FaisalN » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:06 am

not sure if its the OD as i did some check and looks to me like the OD works well.....dunno how to solve the problem although i donr drive on those speeds but need to have it on a good running conditions,,,,,....the car has alot of power on the pick and can reach 100 in no time....smoke is normal....its a JP import not sure if they had some how ristricted the injectors or have they boosted the turbo and give more boost forcing the engine to rav........

a friend of mine has a similar model exacrly and clocks 160-180 comfortably....
FaisalN
Isuzu Baby

City: Dar es salaam
Vehicle: 2000 Isuzu Bighorn ex-Japan UBS73GW

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm

The revs are high even at 110kph This is a very different motor to the 4jg2.
Its a new generation diesel and despite its known weaknesses is a magic motor. The 4jg2 was made to have lots of low down torque at the expense of high revs and is a very typical diesel engine. The 4jx1 has a computer and a super high pressure injection system that allows almost petrol engine performance with diesel economy.The economy is very good even by diesel standards.
To test the overdrive try this with the selector in both power and economy. Take the cat to 110kph (if this speed is legal) and accelerate hard while watching the rev counter. Revs should jump about 500 almost immediately as it drops out of overdrive. Try this also in your friends car to see the difference.
No 4wd is safe at 180kph.They are too high and to softly sprung to handle those speeds.They also take 1 and a half times as long to stop as a car. Even worse in the wet because of there weight. In saying that I have had the 89 bighorn up to 160kph once before the lift and bigger tyres. I dont drive over 120kph now in it ever and rarely over 100
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion