• Advertisement

mechanics statement re Mus

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

mechanics statement re Mus

Postby whitebeach » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi all,
New here and new to Isuzu M's. I have just purchased a 1994 3.1 MU and will need to get the timing belt changed. Not having a mechanic (my other care is new and I take it to the dealer) I have called around and have been met by the same response. "oh there's a lot of stuff on the engines of these Jap imports making it different from the Jackaroo" = every repair is going to be more expensive. I am not a mechanic in any respect and want to know what these "experts" are talking about. When questioned furthur they just say there is "a lot of extra stuff on the engines". I know what a piece of sh**t the Toyota Surf is and I hope to gad someone on this forum can calm my fears that I haven't bought a Jap import that is going to be a problem.

Also how loud should (or should not )the sound of the turbo be before changing it. If I can hear the turbo through the hood wirring after a drive is that not good?

Many thanks

Nervous in Whitebeach
whitebeach
Isuzu Baby

City: hobart
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu Mu

Re: mechanics statement re Mus

Postby pig75 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

I would keep looking for a better mechanic. The 3.1 in a jackaroo is the same as the 3.1 in a MU
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Sorry about the turbo. A whine on shut down means the heat shield has come away inside the turbo and one day soon it will either seize resulting in a big loss of power or blow a seal meaning big blue cloud. It could last a year or two or tomorrow.
The only differences in the 3.1 diesel engine to the Jackeroo is that all Mus have a timeing belt where some Jackeroos dont and the emmission gear. Everyone removes the emmission gear and the timing belt is pretty standard fare on all modern cars. If your mechy cant do a timing belt he should become an insurance salesman or McDonalds table wiper
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:14 pm

nothing hard and fast that a good mechanic can't do, I do pretty much all of my work myself. Sounds like the mechanics you've been talking to are all "moder mechanics" - they need to plug it into a computer to tell them whats wrong with it!!!
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby whitebeach » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm

thanks for your help. It just sounded like both mechanics I talked to wanted to charge more because it was an import!
Great forum. Thanks
whitebeach
Isuzu Baby

City: hobart
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu Mu

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion