• Advertisement

D-Max 4JJ1 - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

D-Max 4JJ1 - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Postby anode36 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:51 pm

Hi forum. Need some advice on my current engine problem.

After not being started for a couple of months, I fired up my 2008 d-max (4JJ1 engine). This was after a long period of freezing temperatures here in Norway. The engine started easily and run and rev normally, but after it is warmed up it will only rev to about 2000-2200 and then it cuts off and stalls, surging in the area below 2000 rpm. Impossible to rev above this limit. The car runs normally on idle and lower rpms, no power loss in that lower range. My first thought, it is the fuel filter/line diesel clogging/freezing and so replaced the filter, but it was still the same problem, even after outside temperatures increased above 0 degC.

Couple of days ago check engine light finally appeared with code P0336 "Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance". So, now it seems quit obvious that the crankshaft sensor is the source of the problem and should be replaced. As I understand, the engine has two timing sensors; the camshaft pos sensor, which is easily accessible on the front and the crankshaft pos sensor which - unfortunately - is far from easily accessible, hidden in a narrow space behind the starter on left engine block. (As I understand, the two sensors are the same part number) So, before I start the big job of removing the starter, want to ask for suggestion if there could be any other potential sources to the above symptoms that would better be checked first and excluded.

Any help and advice appreciated, thanks.
anode36
Isuzu Baby

City: Fredrikstad
Vehicle: Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DiTD 4x4, (4JJ1-TC), 2009

Re: D-Max 4JJ1 - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Postby Roadrunner » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:19 pm

i would be looking in the fuel tank to see if the fuel is still cold enough to jell, the fine filter sock on the pickup tube might be clogged with jell crystals.
Roadrunner
Isuzu Baby

City: Central Victoria
Vehicle: 92 jackaroo, 4jg2 , ported turbo, 5psi lift pump, 11 psi boost, 5 speed, 4.3 diff gears.

Return to Engines and Exhaust