• Advertisement

Fuel pump - to service or not?

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Fuel pump - to service or not?

Postby BrokenMu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:41 pm

I've begun rebuilding my 2.8 (4JB1T) after the compressor wheel of the turbo decided to make a new home for itself in multiple pieces inside each of my cylinders.

I've been told by the mechanic who is putting the block together for me that I HAVE TO get the pump serviced.

I've sourced a set of reconditioned injectors, so my question is, considering the failure was not fuel related, would it be absolutely crucial to get the pump serviced? It's a bloody expensive job, this is the only reason I'm hesitant.

Also, could anyone who has had the job done let me know what they've paid? I'd like to compare.
If anyone knows of any good places in Melbourne to get it done, please let me know.

Regards
- Michael
Last edited by BrokenMu on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenMu
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8TDI

Re: Fuel pump - to service or not?

Postby geeves » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Its a lot easier to do while the motor is out. It could easily be a condition of any warrentee. They are covering themselves. In NZ it costs around 1000 to get done but this is dependant on what needs replacing. If you are doing a full recon with genuine parts it should cost 5 to 7 times this but just pistons rings and bearings will be a lot less.
One thing to consider is that the new low sulphur diesel is hard on seals and a lot of pumps have leaked. If yours has been allowed to dry out and the seals were marginal then a leak is almost inevitable.
Personaly I would get it done although there is little chance of it damaging the motor
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 am

If it was me I'd let the pump be, I've let um sit for years and never had one dry up on me, why they are so expensive to rebuild is beyond me, the rebuilding kits are only around $100 and a good shop can do one in 5 HRS so why they get $1000 to do one is crazy. they are easyier to do while the motor is out like Geeves said, but if your strapped for cash it isn't that much harder to do after its in, I always try and leave well enough alone.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:57 am

700US = 1000NZ at current exchange rate
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby BrokenMu » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:13 am

Cheers for the replys. I know the going rate is around 700-1000 but I had a dreamer quote me $1500
I had to laugh as I walked out of his workshop.
BrokenMu
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8TDI

Postby geeves » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 am

When I did the external seals in my pump I got quotes from the 3 places that do them in Wellington. First quote 800 with a discount from 4wd club second quote 800 if I took the pump out or anouther 400 on top third quote 200 done in place. When I picked it up he was apologetic that it was going to cost another 100 as it took longer than he thought. I didnt tell him he was still just over a third of the cost of the next highest quote. Afterwards it wasnt running quite right but he fixed it so its going better than it ever did with no issue or extra cost.
Pity its too expensive to send the pump to Wellington
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust