• Advertisement

My new oil catch can!

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

My new oil catch can!

Postby costaricanzuu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:48 am

I been reading a lot about oil catch can here and all over the web so I decide that if it's not going to hurt why not to do one my self, that and I like projects!

so I decide going with a home made version for two reasons 1. its a lot cheaper 2. I like the fact of being able to see oil accumulating at the can..

So I get a mini air compressor filter with 1/4 NPT ports and got some nipples to match, some hose, and a lot of thinking to decide where to put it, and voila I really like the final result, and I think it's working great. Today I took it off and clean it, I think it catch like 20 ml of oil in 2000 km which I think its normal it was almost nothing but it's not in my turbo and admission.

some pics! and let me know what you guys think!

Here you can see the hose going from the cover to the catch can and the return

where I decide to put it

my mini filter I decide to took all internal out to make sure the flow was good

a general view I route the hose behind the booster to do a big U and allow a good flow of fumes

costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

City: Heredia
Vehicle: Isuzu KB 2.5 turbo diesel

Re: My new oil catch can!

Postby wbski007 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

excellent job, Pretty close to fuel filter I used only a little smaller, very neat, I like it
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

I wondered if it was too small. The theory is that the fumes slow in the catch can and drop the oil. Similar process to a river where all the gravel and silt gets dumped in the slow flowing parts of the river
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby costaricanzuu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:03 pm

I will test it for a representative time to let you know the answer, right now oil its droping and I took off the outgoing line and was really clean, but again it was just 2000km so will let you guys know in some time, right now i'm pretty happy with the result!
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

City: Heredia
Vehicle: Isuzu KB 2.5 turbo diesel

Return to Engines and Exhaust