• Advertisement

Bio Diesel??

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Bio Diesel??

Postby oompalompa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:52 pm

I have been seeing a few company vehicles around Christchurch from a bio diesel company. What is the deal with biodiesel. Where do you purchase it? Is it any good? What mods? and just is it worth doing/ investigating. :?:
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Re: Bio Diesel??

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:21 pm

2 things sold as biodiesel
one Straight vegy oil You get it from the fish and chip shop filter it and throw in the tank. The catch is you have to heat it before it will go through the injectors so a conversion kit is needed but the fuel is cheap
two proper biodiesel. Take the same oil filter mix with caustic soda and methanol let it cook for a while and separate off the good stuff. Still smells like fish and chips but will run in a standard engine. Lots of good info on the net on how to make but do read the warnings Caustic soda takes skin off Methanol makes you blind and burns down workshops
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby oompalompa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:24 pm

is there any where you can buy it all ready to go ie pump stright into the tank. are there any downsides,( aside from smell/ blidness/ loss of skin etc) lack of performance, degredation of seals/gaskets etc.
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Not a good idea to drive past here on fish and chip night :D
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:08 pm

I dont know what they are selling in Chch You would have to ask them which it is. Otherwise no comercial suply in NZ.If its made properly it doesnt damage seals and depending on the base oil can give more power
You can make your own if you have a supply of oil. In NZ there is no direct tax on diesel apart from GST so no tax issue making your own fuel. Other countries do this differently though so check your local rules
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby cmtaraba » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:26 pm

dude:

take straight veggie (ie. oil (not lard) from ANY fish/chip place)...put in a barrel to let settle...put it straight in your tank during summer months...for winter add 10 to 20 % diesel. THE TRICK !!! diesel has parafin wax in it!!! you will have to put a furnace filter before the oem fuel filter to catch ALL of the wax that comes from the lines and the tank. The veggie seems to act like a solvent for wax and peels it right off....clogs frickin everything.....other than that...you dont have to heat it, you dont have to do anything to it.....been running lots of mechanical injection diesels on it for 4 to 5years. thousands of km's...without the diesel blend the engine is a little hard starting, even on warm mornings....block heater plugged in for about 45 mins sparks the old girls right up. or spend the money and blend some diesel in it.

regards,
chris
cmtaraba
Isuzu Baby

City: mississaugua
Vehicle: 1998 isuzu rodeo LS 4x4

Postby wbski007 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm

Chris, I've been burning veggy oil for years also, I just let it settle out and then filter it good, I run 80% veggy to 20% diesel, thins it enough so I have no worrys, about every 500 miles or so I run strait diesel with an additive for 50 miles to clean things out a bit if need be. I have 3 filters under the bonnet, last one is a Racor 2 micron with water seperator , also oil is heated via cooling system thru heated lines before it goes thru filters so its hot and filters better, so far its been great, with no problems.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Return to Engines and Exhaust