• Advertisement

Manual conversion, clutch not disengaging

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Manual conversion, clutch not disengaging

Postby Kerpre » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Hey guys, I have searched and searched but can’t find a similar problem to mine (since it’s a new gearbox)

So I have converted my 96 Mu 3.1 to manual, the only problem is, is that the clutch won’t FULLY Disengage. It stays on very slightly and the car wants to lurch forward unless I hold the brake.

I have used the master and slave that came with the box and I am unsure of the history or kms of any of it. Would either of these cause this problem? Bearing in mind that it bled as it should and I have no soft pedal or leaks?

I’ve used dot 4 universal fluid

There is plenty of travel on the clutch fork and I have even spaced the slave toward the fork to try and get more travel but that has made no difference.

Could I have put the clutch around the wrong way? I couldn’t 100% tell.

The clutch doesn’t slip when it’s engaged

If anyone has had this problem please chime in. I’m not against taking the box out again but I would like to avoid it if at all possible.

T.i.a

Kerry
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu

Re: Manual conversion, clutch not disengaging

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:05 pm

siezed spiggot bearing maybe?
Is the clutch adjusted correctly. Force some more travel into it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Is the clutch pedal adjusted properly, as in no excessive pedal free-play and actually pushing the master cylinder and not just the resistance of the return spring?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby Kerpre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:28 am

Ok so I assume by clutch adjustment you mean through the pedal? Then yes it is all maxed out and I cannot get any more length from the master cylinder push rod.

Clutch was aligned using a tool spigot was brand new so I doubt that will be the culprit.

When pedal is pushed, clutch fork moves a good 1-2 inches. Does that sound like enough?
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 pm

What about the adjustment at the slave cylinder?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Kerpre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm

I was unaware that there was adjustment there, I spaced it closer to the fork if that counts?
Does the slave have a threaded rod under the boot?
Cheers Alan

Kerry
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Theres no adjustment at the slave, what clutch kit did you end up using? all heavy duty clutches ive fitted require spacers behind the pivot to get them to release properly
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby Kerpre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Unsure as it came with the box :/. Does not look to be heavy duty, however no scoring and looks to be near new.
Pivot? As in the fork holder ball thing? (Very technical I know)
Cheers

Kerry
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Most heavy clutches have coloured pressure plates, yes the pivot the fork goes onto, could still have air in it, isuzu are horrible to bleed
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Also not sure about my, does it have the dampener on the lh mudgaurd for the clutch? They give lots of issues, just get a straight joiner and throw the dampener away
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby Kerpre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Ok so it is just a plain steel pressure plate and yes it has a dampener. I’ve bled from the dampener and the slave and I’m pretty positive it is bled properly. Although the pedal still hits the floor and I can’t fix that, no matter what I’ve tried. I have just tried a new slave and that has made no difference. I will wait for the master to show up, if that makes no difference then out with the box again. Do you remember the correct way the clutch faces? I noticed that the slime on the clutch has a long side and a short side, I put it long side facing the engine, will this make a difference?
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 pm

throw that dampner away will solve it i would say, normally its long side or stepped side of the clutch plate goes towards the gearbox, flat side against the flywheel, shouldnt really matter though aslong as the springs in the clutch plate wernt hitting the flywheel bolts
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:57 pm

so will go flywheel then flat side of clutch plate against flywheel, then stepped side fits inside pressure plate and that bolts to the flywheel, normally marked on the clutch plate flywheel side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby Kerpre » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks rob I will get onto that tonight and post results. Hopefully it is just a simple as a buggered dampner
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby Kerpre » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 pm

So I’ve tried a new master, I found the old one was weeping a little, Still same problem.
Where did you get your 10mm-10mm fitting to replace the dampner?
I tried repco, they only go down to 1/8th.
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:20 pm

I used a tee fitting off a rear diff and put a ball bearing and plug in the tee so it made it straight if that makes sense, any good brake shop should have 1, taupo didnt have any so just made it work
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby Kerpre » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am

So I have dropped the gearbox and flipped the clutch plate around. It is still doing the same thing, but now I can shift in and out of reverse with the engine running, otherwise no forward gears. It’s smooth with engine off. Any ideas?
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Reverse is normally harder to get it into than the forward gears, did you bin the dampener? Did you also rebleed the clutch after putting the box back in?
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby Kerpre » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:40 am

Yes so I’ve chucked the dampner, and yes I did, I’m going to pressure bleed it tonight to make sure all air is out. I really can’t get my head around this one, starting to think I may have mis-matched flywheel/clutch or pressure plate. I can’t think of anything else.
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Postby Kerpre » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am

Also does the slave cylinder need to be shimmed to spec or is it had against the bell housing from stock?
Kerpre
Isuzu Baby

Next

Return to Engines and Exhaust