• Advertisement

Newbie (2007 Isuzu D-MAX 4x4)

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Newbie (2007 Isuzu D-MAX 4x4)

Postby gichkba » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:22 am

Hello,

I'm Dennis from Kenya. New to the diesel platform and new to the D-Max platform as well. Recently (Dec 12, 2021) got a 2007 Isuzu D-Max 4x4 with the 4JH1-TC and would like to understand a few things regarding the platform.

NB:
    I have gone through the whole forum posts and categories for the past 1 month and I could learn a few things regarding the platform and few nits and bits of what to expect, preventive maintenance, mods, suspension technicalities and such.
    I've been on the petrol platform all my life and currently own a 91 E34 530i with all NA mods to push 230hp out of the motor so I know my way around cars, mechanically and also electrical wise.

Now, here are a few things I could not find through my extensive research on the forum as well as Google.

Engine Details:
    Car has a mechanical injector pump (found out it is the pump from the 4JB1-T engine).
    Engine harness has been butchered by the PO since the tachometer never works (sensor at the rear of the engine on the bellhousing is missing). If I got a new crank sensor I believe, will the tacho work in conjunction with the mechanical pump?
    Engine has no thermostat so temperature doe not pass the 1/4 mark when highway driving but in heavy traffic I have seen it go to half mark. (Is the OEM an 85 degree thermostat?)
    With the mechanical pump mod, there seems to have diesel leaks from the injector pipes coming from the pump. (Need to find a solution to this)
    Car has no separator, just a fuel filter with no separator. (Is that a problem?)
    Engine has a severe oil leak but after a thorough inspection, seems to come from the front timing belt cover area and the sump front and back. (Preparing to buy a full engine gasket kit for this)
    Turbo seems to work on the higher side of the rev (Since tachometer does not work, going by the sound of the engine when driving, boost kicks in way above, highly suspect 4-4.5k range in the rpm band which seems to high for a diesel). The wastegate actuator seems to not open up fully during the low rev range and also its not the adjustable wastegate type. Replaced wastegate actuator pipe to compressor no dice. Adjusted fuel by a 2.5 turn on the injector pump screw and boost is now give or take about 2.5-3.5k rev range which is not bad but the amount of black smoke is just ridiculous so I adjusted it back to original setting and have to rely on no boost. No boost leaks either, did a smoke test as well.
    MAF seems not to be working at all even after thoroughly cleaning it.
    Instrument cluster only shows speedo (which is also inaccurate), Brake (Hand brake lamp), Oil pressure lamp (Though its intermittent whenever car is leaning to the left) and Empty Fuel Lamp (Fuel gauge does not go above 1/2 mark when I fill up the tank).
    Cold start is a hustle as car shakes too much but after 2min, engine idles perfectly so not sure about glow plugs.

Now I'm willing to restore and rebuild this motor so kindly help an newbie with any and every information or ideas there is.

I have the workshop manual, parts manual and technical write-ups of the car but still not yet halfway through from reading.

Thank You.
Well, Better to Burn out, Than it is to Rust.
gichkba
Isuzu Baby

City: Nairobi
Vehicle: 2007 Isuzu DMAX Single Cab 4x4

Return to Engines and Exhaust