• Advertisement

93 MU needs a lift. Recommendations?

For all suspension modifications

93 MU needs a lift. Recommendations?

Postby shanoebs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Hey all

Its probably been here a million times but i cant find what most people do.

I want to lift the MU from standard height. Maybe 2 inches? I use it alot for the Cairns to Cooktown coast road and am thinking of going up to cape york this year and would feel safer if i had that extra lift as i will be doing the trip solo.

Any recommendations on a budget lift choice... What brand, is 2inches enough and approx how much will it cost me?

Cheers
shanoebs
Isuzu Baby

City: Cairns
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 1993 2.8lt Auto

Re: 93 MU needs a lift. Recommendations?

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm

A new set of rear springs with a 50 mm lift and a torsion bar wind. The first will cost about $400 ( working on what mine cost 4 years ago :D ) the 2nd a can of crc, a good socket set and a beer followed by a wheel alignment
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby shanoebs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

slightlydodgy wrote:A new set of rear springs with a 50 mm lift and a torsion bar wind. The first will cost about $400 ( working on what mine cost 4 years ago :D ) the 2nd a can of crc, a good socket set and a beer followed by a wheel alignment
Cheers mate, thats a start for me :D
shanoebs
Isuzu Baby

City: Cairns
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 1993 2.8lt Auto

Postby Greasemonkey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:41 am

Hi this is my first post on the Mu. I have bought a 95 Model 4X4 with the 4gj1 turbo diesel eng. The people I have bought it from put a 2 - 3 inch lift kit in it and had not lowered the diff, unfortunately if you get into extreme terrain and or get air it drives the wheel so for down that the CV inner axle pulls out of the Joint. I had read on this forum somewhere that a 25 mm lowering block would bring the diff down and reduce that problem. I have tried it and so far I have run into trouble with the Tie rod hitting the diff Mounting plate just under the Steering box. It also makes getting the tie rod ball joint in and out of the steering box pitman arm impossible. I am about to reduce the thickness of the lowering blocks by 5 mm to 20 mm and see how that works. The only other way around the problem would be to cut a section out of the diff mounting bracket and well that is an Engineering change here, more red tape..
Greasemonkey
Isuzu Baby

City: Orange
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu MU

Postby MrRevhead » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:42 am

Yeah not a lot of room under a stock bracket.
If you go to the trouble of removing the bracket I'm sure you could do it in such a way that no one will ever know.
Also to remove the tie rod end, tried full r/h lock?
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Return to Suspension