• Advertisement

Mud tyres

For all suspension modifications

Mud tyres

Postby mrMUMU » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi I am wanting to know what size mud tyres can I fit on my isuzu mu standard rims as pictured

Thinking: 32 x 11.5 x 15

I will be doing a 2" rear leaf spring lift and front torsion bar wind

Thankyou
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrMUMU
Isuzu Junior

City: melbourne
Vehicle: 1994 isuzu mu 2.8

Re: Mud tyres

Postby topgun94 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 am

The standard rims are 7 inches wide. I have been able to put 32x11.5 on 7 inch before but the correct size for that tyre is an 8. As for fitting under the car the 32's will be fine with 2 inches of lift
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby mrMUMU » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for the reply it's more for looks than actual full on 4x4ing
mrMUMU
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:58 am

"more for looks than actual full on 4x4ing"

If you are 4wding 31 or 32 inch muds are a good way to go. If you have no intention to 4wd then why raise it and why fit muds? A good set of 31 inch AT tyres look just as chunky have the right white lettering on the side and will handle better last longer and possibly be less noisy.
My bighorn wears 32 inch muds but my wizard is on factory size AT tyres although the 31 inch muds which are meant to be the road tyres for the bighorn (wof day tyres) do fit fine.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mrMUMU » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi geeves thanks for the reply I use the car for hunting and go through rough tracks at times or wet areas where the track has washed out, I ment I'm not going to try rut crawling it like I've seen some of the guys do.

Cheers Adria
mrMUMU
Isuzu Junior

Postby topgun94 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:48 pm

you always say that at first. Next minute your facing up to giant bog hole being egged on my the bogged patrols on the other side.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:55 pm

normally the bog as at the end of a loop track and you have the option of through the bog and 10 minutes to the highway or turn back and 3 hours to the same place
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby molus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:23 am

Just of note. Went to see a local certifier in Hamilton to check a couple of things. Have been informed they are now getting strict on tyre sizes. The tyre must meet the minimum recommendation for wheel size. Also they could effect your insurance if not certified and cause no end of hassle.
molus
Isuzu Baby

City: auckland
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 3.8ltr Holden v6.

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:04 pm

My understanding in New Zealand is anything of a different tyre diameter requires certification which gets tricky with some vehicles where different option lists included different tyre sizes and no easy way for the mechanic to tell. For all the Mus and bighorns an option existed for 31 inch tyres and nothing else affecting braking or handling was altered to take that size tyre. There is a requirement also that really applys more to the rim that track must not increase more than 10% without certification. Also the tread must be within the guard or once again cert required although the cert will require flares to be fitted.
Also currently a lift using replacement springs only up to 50mm is permissible. All other types of lift and spring lifts over 50mm require certification although the limit is what the certifier feels is safe and passes the handling and braking tests.
Also it apears that in the near future there will be a limit applied in the rules to a total lift that can be certified. This is not set in stone yet but is imprinted in wet cement so expect the worst. 50mm by spring still ok without cert but everything else requires cert and the total lift including bigger tyres body lift and suspension will not be allowed above 100mm. The 4wd association was pushing for an authority card to allow bigger lifts if the vehicle belonged to an associated club and its owner could demonstrate a need but certain vocal objectors misunderstood that this was only for larger lifts and was the only way larger lifts were going to get through so now there will be nothing larger and if you have a certified lift bigger than this your wagon will jump in value when the new rules come in.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:57 am

yes as geeves has said all the tyre drama has started from boy racers putting tyres that should be on 6 inch wide rims on 10 inch wide rims and driving on the side walls and tyres coming off the bead
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:11 pm

They do that and it handles bad and looks crass. We tend to do the opposite with tyres meant to be on 10 inch rims going on 8s. A friend whos a tyre dealer told me about some 35 inch tyres fitted on 7 inch rims. He worked up a sweat getting one off to fix a puncture
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:48 pm

I had to put 195/45/15 tyres on 15x10 white spokes today and stretch the hell out of them. Looked so stupid on a mitzi ute that wasn't even 4X4.
I asked how he even got a WOF. Easy he said. I just put the standard wheels on for a wof then swap back.

Just goes to show what a joke our wof system is these days. Sadly we get this sort of thing all the time, what I would consider unsafe tyre wheel combos. I complain but the boss says do it so I do. One day that sort of thing will come back and bite a tyre company in the ass then something might get done about it. But probably only after a heap of innocents gets killed first.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:37 pm

"Sadly we get this sort of thing all the time, what I would consider unsafe tyre wheel combos. I complain but the boss says do it so I do. One day that sort of thing will come back and bite a tyre company in the ass then something might get done about it. But probably only after a heap of innocents gets killed first."
Actually the osh rules are quite simple Should something bad happen due to a blatant error by a worker the gun is aimed at the employer and worker and boss. But simply if said ute failed to stop at a pedestrian crossing killing someone and it was deemed that the tyres were a significant cause and the driver said they were fitted by xyz tyre services then xyz tyres gets a fine up to $100000 or more boss gets 6 months jail plus a $20000 fine and because you said the boss said you must fit them despite your protests they will be lenient on you only giving you 3 months jail and $5000 fine.
Does your boss own the tyre company? If so then he will be treated the same as a former boss of my sister. He was sole owner of a drainage company and foreman on a job site where a trench collapsed killing his employee and best friend. Company fined $50k pretty much bankrupting it then the foreman fined $100k in a separate case taking no heed of the other case plus some jail time. They tried to argue the double jeopardy thing but the law was clear that the first fine was the company not the person and the second the person not the company. The fact they were effectively the same thing didnt matter.
The company I work for is a multinational and its things like this why they introduced a thing called a stop work card. Basically if an employee thinks a task unsafe they can stop the job overriding what any boss says. It would mean you could say no to fitting the above tyres but its not foolproof. A fellow worker called stop on a job that had included driving up a snow covered road. He was in a 4wd but not 4wd qualified/experianced. Boss first said buy some chains. None available so second call was to send a experienced 4wder. I got nearly twice as far up the road before I crashed into the bank doing quite a bit of damage. It was a Ford so no matter
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension