• Advertisement

E locker?? Same as dmax?

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

E locker?? Same as dmax?

Postby topgun94 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 am

So I've been doing some looking round the net and I'm wondering whether any of you guys have an e locker or have thought about one?
You can purchase an elocker form opposite lock for the Isuzu dmax front ifs differential. It is a 17 spline with a 28.4 shaft. As far as I know that's the same as the front of a 1991 2.8 manual mu.

I have also consulted the arb locker application list and both are recommended to use the rd203.

I don't need another compressor for the lockers and one for the tyres and you don't have to worry about air leaks from the arb lockers.

So after all that - what do you reckon about using this e locker?!
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Re: E locker?? Same as dmax?

Postby iananita » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 am

I have an auto locker in the Jackaroo and bang for buck it is the best off road mod, IMHO.

I would consider an e locker before air locker, just because of the nightmares you hear with air lines + seals. Those I know with e lockers(Patrols) love them.

This would be great news for those wanting the option of a selectable locker. How much are they?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby topgun94 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am

I got a price for the dmax one and it was 1595 from opposite lock. Not bad considering that your up for at least that much when you don't have to worry about a compressor or worry about leases.

I was looking at the Lokka from 4wd systems but I think that I would want to be able to select when to engage it.

If the dmax has the same air locker from arb I reckon that the e locker would be the same?
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby topgun94 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Does anybody know ? D:
Thinking that i might just have to go LOKKA
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby wgripp » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 am

Did anyone ever install an electronic locker in their MU? Did it impact their steering?
wgripp
Isuzu Baby

City: Montana
Vehicle: J-Spec 1991 Isuzu Mu (aka Isuzu Amigo, aka Opel Frontera)

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 am

Manually operated locker of any sort shouldnt affect steering when unlocked. Auto lockers have a small effect but in very slippery conditions they can be diabolical on steering. If there isnt enough traction to overcome the internal spring it doesnt let the outer wheel travel faster so might as well be fully locked. People that wheel in rock and gravel say they is no difference. People that wheel in wet clay want rid of the things
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:30 am

I have auto lokkas front and rear in 3 bighorns and 1 mu and 1 rc colorado, all run the same locker so will spend of year of dmax as the front diff changed 2 years ago from memory, auto lockers are great for the money, graves I'm not sure about what you said I wheel in clay, boggy top soil, snow, and everything works mint, auto locker on hard surfaces make the steering heavy but can always leave 1 4x4 hub unlocked which makes it open diff
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:16 pm

I know round wellington they are not popular but tere we often get clay which consists of 1cm of slop on top of concrete hard mirror polished clay. It makes wet ice seem grippy
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Special Mods