• Advertisement

isuzu mu 3.1 4jg2 oil filter change

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

isuzu mu 3.1 4jg2 oil filter change

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:28 am

having the 4jg2 intercooled engine in the 1991 mu gives me a oil filter i cant get out until i take either the front tail shaft or complete inter cooler off.
I look in the inner guard and could make a inspection plate but cutting out and bolting a door in
has anybody done this. please sen me a pik of how its done, before i get carried away!
Live it, Breathe it, Enjoy it. (What ever the case may be. Bogged, stuck, or spending hours getting someone out)
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

City: sydney
Vehicle: 91 isuzu mu 3.1 turbo intercooler. 31inch maxxis bighorn

Re: isuzu mu 3.1 4jg2 oil filter change

Postby geeves » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:00 am

it does come out underneath. You have to slide it back about 6 inches to a gap. Mines the same as yours and its a lot quicker and easier than the 4jb1 bighorn although more messy.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 am

cheers thats something i have to check out. i ended up getting the http://www.brettstruck.com.au/p/1153389 ... 2003-.html got a six pak and told there a bit slimmer on the lip. have a few klm up my sleeve still.
Live it, Breathe it, Enjoy it. (What ever the case may be. Bogged, stuck, or spending hours getting someone out)
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm

nope they don't come out underneath. well not with my stainless exhaust and the 4jg2 fitted to my 1991 mu.. its remove intercooler everytime i need to change the oil filter, or take front drive shaft out. easy job, but extra work. takes about an hour. my filter is in the same spot as the 4jb1(upside down, messy to unscrew)
the intercooler is in the way. can't even reach it with it still on. relocation would be good, but again there is no room in engine bay that i can find to put it.

oh well. its a cut inner guard or how it is.
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 pm

are you running the 4jb1 filter housing on a 4jg2? Most people that have changed changed the other way as its easier to fabricate a large exhaust with the 4jg2 housing.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:52 pm

unsure what u mean. i have a spare 4jb1 and a stock spare 4jg2 mu and there both the same oil filter housing. thats not what stops me getting it out tho. there is no room up top because the steering column blocks the area or the intercooler. down the bottom its the bell housing and tail shaft that are a few mm to close. cant slide it back as it turns into the chassis. the bottom way is messy any how. as all the oil is dripping down the arm while i turn it around and drop down the slim gap to the tailshaft. glad i have a winch bar to stand on to get in through the top.
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 pm

on 4jb1 the filter is vertical facing down 4jg2 its on an angle. \Might be an excuse for a body lift :idea: :)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

If your filter arrangement is the same as a 4JB1 then you should still be able to get it out from the top, even with an Intercooler fitted. I have an intercooled 4JB1 and remove my filter upwards without removing the intercooler. I have however removed the the vacuum operated exhaust valve, but this shouldn't be a problem with your 4JG2 as this valve is fitted further down the exhaust system (just about under the drivers seat).

It is a tight squeeze (I even have to take my watch off), it take it straight up, then out towards the drivers side and then forwards....
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Nope its intercooler off just to get to it with the claw oil filter remover. maybe i can reroute some things to clear the space up a bit to get in another angle.
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:41 pm

My Wizard should be the same with the filter slanting down and back. Get to it from underneath then move the filter back along the exhaust to a gap.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 pm

its not slanted. its up like the 4jb1. there is no room for the slanted mount. exhaust to close.
there is no room to get up or down without intercooler off. its master cylinder and intercooler in the way going up.
and no matter were u slide it down its just too big to get out. it almost slide between the front shaft and the gearbox. but nowhere else. I have split one trying to turn the drive shaft to pop through back up. as i got it to worked going down.. its either wind out the torsion bar (haven't tried this yet. but may make enough room),remove the front drive shaft or take out the intercooler.
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Postby stardog » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 am

I have a feeling you have the wrong dump pipe from the turbo back it sounds like you have a 3.1 dump pipe on a 2.8 turbo oil filter set up that's the problem.
post some photos of the oil filter and the dump pipe area. 2 ways to fix either change your oil filter assembly to a 3.1 set up or change the dump pipe to a 2.8 one.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby MrRevhead » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm

It's all in how you hold your tongue on the 3.1s! :P

In my younger days as "Lube bay technician" I did quite a few 3.1 Bighorns and it surely does come out the bottom. The odd one needs a little force to get past the drive shaft, just use both hands!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 pm

the engine is a 3.1 straight out of a jackaroo which is straight up, same setup as my spare 2.8 thats was from a mu.
the dump pipe is not stock. its 2 1/2 inch stainless. but there is no way for the filter to slant as the chassis is to close to share a stock pipe and filter on slant. it won't come out the bottom anyhow, as it won't fit between the front drive shaft and side of box, no matter how far you slide it back. and thats the only gap down there. i got one out but then busted two trying to replace it as they split when i pushed them past. had to put in from top as i just wasted 2 and was last one i had left. i suspect the difference is the fact its a short wheel base jackaroo chassis. not long wheel base.

never worked out how to upload piks. could u send me a message with help

cheers
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Postby MrRevhead » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:25 pm

I am not familiar with that set up sorry. I do recall some intercooled 2.8s that you had to reach in through the wheel arch to change.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby stardog » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:40 pm

I have a 3" system from turbo back and can still remove the oil filter with out to much hassles from underneath the mu I think I posted some photos on the site somewhere.
If you don't have the 3.1 oil filter set up the one that points down you will have problems I know that some later 2.8 engines had them you might have to chase up some wreckers and get one of them to make it easier to change the filter.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby IsuzuMu77 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:57 pm

as i said there is no room for any slant filter set up for the filter to slant as the chassis is to close. has anybody sorted a filter relocation kit for a 4jb1/4jg2. i have a bit of room on the driver side front guard. also still looking for instructions to upload piks. lol
IsuzuMu77
Isuzu Junior

Return to Engine