• Advertisement

4JH1 Turbo Seals!!

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JH1 Turbo Seals!!

Postby bobbos » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 am

I will start a new post reference to my plight, (carry on from Rewire Parrot) after towing the truck to a garage with blown turbo seals a new turbo was ordered and fitted. While waiting for that to arrive fresh engine oil/filter and new air filter was fitted. New turbo duly installed and tried to run up engine, it would start but not take throttle pedal. Another mechanic was called in with diagnostic tools and found a few problems namely brake exhaust was sticking and a problem with Air Mass Meter.
When bypassing MAF engine would run fine but back on line it would struggle so into the wallet and purchase a MAF. This has now been fitted and still the same problem, mechanic spoke to another garage in Aberdeen and they say it would be the injectors!! None of these garages can test Isuzu injectors and local Isuzu agent has closed down, nearest now being over 170 miles away!!
Although third garage suggested enquiring with last owner if the injectors were ever renewed as they say there was a recall on this type. I am reluctant to pay for a new set of injectors (been quoted £200+vat each) without some kind of assurance this will solve the problem. Looking on the internet there are injector nozzles for Isuzu 4JH1 engines and was wondering if this would suffice.
Original mechanic has got truck at his garage and is going to check serial number of injectors in the morning to see if we can source somewhere cheaper. This type of truck is not very common in our area and am now beginning to understand why! :cry:
This is getting to be a bottomless pit. On reading other posts it would seem to be a common occurrence.
Any suggestions as to which direction I should take apart from selling as scrap or jumping off a wall?
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

City: ABERDEENSHIRE
Vehicle: ISUZU NPR77 Grafter tipper (2006) 3.5t double wheel

Re: 4JH1 Turbo Seals!!

Postby isuzurob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:35 pm

if you could load a picture of the engine to make sure its the same as in nz, if it was driving fine before the turbo blew the injectors should be fine, does it smoke when it has no power? the cat in the exhaust right behind the turbo may be blocked from all the oil, the injector pumps play up on the 4jh1, but this normally causes no start, maf sensors play up and so do egr valves, tps on the intake manifold also play up
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby bobbos » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi isuzurob, thanks for getting back so quick, not at home for another 2 weeks so pics are out for the mo and mech left to his own! Engine actually (white) smokes worse when on tickover, there was a lot of oil in the intercooler so that was flushed out and left to drain overnight same with air filter oil landing on the road so everything cleaned and new filter fitted.
It has to be said lucky the truck ran at all 'cause air filter was chocked with very fine particals of sand!! Since the MAF has been fiited it still starts easy enough and sometimes runs okay then next time no acceleration! Doin the meccies heads in :oops:
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

Postby bobbos » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:00 am

Okay latest happenings, after 1st new turbo fitted there was still little power new No2 injector fitted, meccies disconnected the EGR and was running better. Went in to garage and took the truck out for a run (with garage man alongside) it was pulling but it would not if there was a load on the back so something still not right. Anyway we turned around and coming back on the dualcarraigeway it went into overrun again!!!! Had to stall engine through gearbox. We are now stuck on one of the busy roads heading into Aberdeen. Truck towed back to garage to find out what had gone wrong, turbo was taken out and found foreign material inside (under warranty so sent back to manufaturer, later informed warranty void due to foreign matter causing malfunction of turbo :cry: ) Compression test done on cylinders and found No2 pot down by 10 bar to others. Took engine out of truck and sent to engine builders, when they stripped it down they found broken rings burnt cyclinder heads scoured linings and marked shaft!!!!!!! I am now past the point of no return and asked if builders could source parts, this is proving very difficult and it may come to me scrapping the vehicle, I don't want to do this as everything else is fine but......
So if anybody in the UK or anywhere actually can shed a light on sourcing parts or reconditioned engine I would appreciate the help
Nay a happy bunny :cry: :evil:
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

Postby mattmannz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:34 am

Repower it with a 4JG2

Sorry for your hassles, hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
Matt
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby geeves » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:27 pm

one option. Delivery would be about a month and you might have customs issues? Nothing not solvable though

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... hText=4jh1

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Qual ... 99859.html
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby bobbos » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:51 am

Thanks guys, Matt if the 4JG2 is a straight change then it may be something we need to look into. Geeves todays conversation with engine builder he reckons he can get most things apart from a pulley (description a shaft with 3 seperate splines and they should be torqued up, put a bolt through all 3 and then take off engine!! Well the holes on mine do not align and he does not know how much torque they require) don't know the correct name for this part (idler gear??) but it is becoming elusive to purchase. Sorry to be a pain but once again any help would be appreciated
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:15 am

I dont have a 4jh1 manual but this should be 90% the same
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?78ddoas1ih19kwc

if you decide to go the 4jg1 way this is a similar swap but in a trooper not a truck

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vvbxxg3e0vi4s45
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby bobbos » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:30 am

The end is nigh!! Total engine rebuild with new liners pistons milled shaft etc. Injectors tested along with fuel pump, a third turbo and all was sent back to be fitted into truck. Rebuilt and ran engine on tick over for a duration before taking it out for a run, didnt get out of the compound and turbo blown!!!! Next day l took the engine builders to have a look at the engine they noticed right away the bolt they put in to prevent any dirt getting in had been relieved of blue tape and screwed down! Because builders did not have all the parts they put this bolt in as a stopper not as a bolt nor screwed down. When asked who screwed the bolt down a Polish mechanic admitted it was he. Another 4 days for replacement thankfully not paying for this one.
Truck up and running took it home only to find oil dripping everywhere :oops: :oops: Tip the cab up and found somebody had used electric tape to tighten hole on hose connection on power assistant steering and had blown off leaving hydraulic oil all over, rip tape off fit a new jubilee and top up all okay.

I have to say after doing over 800 miles last time home the engine is beginning to free off and l daresay it will turn out alright but it has taken 16 weeks and a lot of silly money to get there, thanks for all the help and guidance but my original question about rewiring a parrot has still not been answered :roll:
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Ive actually seen a parrot now. In the bosses mitsubishi 4wd. Its definitely aftermarket not a factory fitting so nothing we can give you will help.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby bobbos » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 am

Ah that's a pity l was trying to find a way of taking the facia off because l think whoever installed the parrot has taken a feed from the radio power source and this needs to be a direct feed for it to work properly.
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:15 pm

follow your nose and your multimeter and you will find the fix
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Powertruck31T » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:25 pm

Did you find out with the foreign object damage was that damaged the turbo? These turbos on the 4JH1 are usually very reliable. Most of the ones we see over here have done big k's and usually come in for oil leaks but its usually the engine starting to breathe which causes these leaks not the actual turbo itself.
Powertruck31T
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 93 3.1 Mu 32" mudstars custom turbo setup, W2A intercooler, modified injector pump 2.5" exhaust system, LSD upgraded and the list goes on

Postby bobbos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:01 am

Geeves I reckon if that is the best I am going to get from you then I will have to live with it.

Powertruck31T, I finally tracked down the garage who had worked on truck before being sold and he told the original owner to get rid of because things are heading pear shaped and this is after fitting a new injector etc. (This garage did over £1200 work and only been paid a quarter so he has no reason to blow smoke up my exhaust) I was going to attach some photos to show you the extent of damage and this may explain a lot but don't see how to add piccies!
bobbos
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:06 pm

When you click post reply you get the reply window and below it you will see a upload attachment tab. Self explanitory from then on except you need to resize your pictures to no more than 100kb which covers a basic 640x480 view
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine