• Advertisement

4JX1 Wont Start

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JX1 Wont Start

Postby stevenz11 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Ok a friend of mine has got me to have a look at her 99 Wizard with a 4jx1. It wont start. When cranking it chuffy whiteish smoke out the exhaust and will show no signs of life, once the oil pressure light starts to flicker and go out it begins to want to start and on occasion it will run but really really really badly and not for long - loads of smoke! It also looks as though it has diesel in the coolant. Is it possible that the injector sleeve o-rings are stuffed and some on the fuel is being sent to the coolant passages, not allowing the engine to run as its not getting enough fuel?
Cheers
stevenz11
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 95 Bighorn Manual

Re: 4JX1 Wont Start

Postby isuzurob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Your on to it, there are so many issues with these engines, but having diesel in the water would be the injector sleeves and orings or a corroded alloy head were the sleeves seat to the head very common, other starting issues are o rings on the oil pick up in the sump, rail pressure sensor, air in the fuel filter if it has factory fuel filter down on chassis rail, glow plugs(not that common though), and the major one is incorrect oil and non genuine filters, i use to laugh at the last one but at work have seen the last one fix 3 now never had another issue with them
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

diesel in water or oil is injector o ring problems I would of thought it would still start though. The slow oil pressure could be too thick oil as above and no oil pressure = no start
is it summer yet?
geeves
Site Admin

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 89 bighorn
96 wizard

Postby stevenz11 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Sorry I forgot to reply to this. I fixed it the next day. replaced the injector sleeve o-rings, no4 cylinder lower o-ring was the worst. Also had to drain diesel out of coolant and flush. New thermostat seal needed as the diesel had swollen and softened it. Also had to remove the fuel tank (no drain - yet another stupid idea Isuzu had with this POS car) and clean it, remove all the coolant that was in it and replace the fuel filter which was also full of coolant. Put it all back together and its alive again... for now
stevenz11
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 95 Bighorn Manual

Return to Engine