• Advertisement

1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4jg2 pcv valve

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4jg2 pcv valve

Postby SPASE » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi can anyone tell me if my 1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 has a pcv valve and if so is it internal or external to the rocker cover? Has anyone had issues with one being faulty/blocked or replaced one?

Any chance of a pic of it if visible without removing anything?

Also has anyone had a case of a oil catch can getting blocked hoses?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
SPASE
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4jg2.

Re: 1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4jg2 pcv valve

Postby SPASE » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Basically I am trying to figure out something... I had the rear main seal replaced on my bighorn 4jg2, it soon started leaking again so I took it back and they replaced it with a genuine isuzu seal thinking that would do the trick... It didn't.. Started leaking straight away. I was thinking maybe the pcv valve or breather was blocked causing a build up of pressure in the crankcase causing oil to pass through the seal.

It does have a oil catch can fitted but doesn't seem to be pushing any oil into it like it used to do. If I lift the engine oil filler cap while engine is running it has a significant amount of blowby.. Enough to blow the cap off if sat on the hole. It has had a complete engine rebuild and only travelled roughly 80,000kms since that so I didn't think it could be the rings.
SPASE
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4jg2.

Postby stardog » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:46 pm

The pcv valve sits on top of the rocker cover above no 4 cylinder screwed on with 4 screws I replaced mine a while back I had oil leak from rear seal .
Long story short before I owned the car someone overfilled with oil and to much pressure blew the seal on a rebuilt engine lived with it for a while bit the bullet and got it fixed cost me $ 1100 but worth it in the end they run some Loctite around the outside of the seal to stop it moving hasn't leaked since .
There must be a oil blockage somewhere for that much blow bye to blow the oil filler cap off.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 am

That pressure is leaking past the rings. What rebuild kit did you use There are 2 types. Original and expensive aftermarket have chrome liners and cast iron rings. Cheap kits have iron liners and chrome rings. Mixing the 2 up results in rapid wear. Also if the bores were not true they could have gone out of round. You might be able to get something out of the reconditioner for that much blow by
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine