• Advertisement

4JG2 Exhaust Manifold Leak

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JG2 Exhaust Manifold Leak

Postby saunderson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:15 am

Hi guys,

Have exhaust Manifold leak on the 4jg2, and was hoping to put a new gasket in, just wondering if the other gaskets around the turbo are reusable or do they all need replaced? Just by looking at the manual I saw gaskets for turbo inlet, turbo outlet, turbo oil feed and return and turbo water inlet and outlet. Does every one of these need replaced when I take the turbo off to get at the exhaust manifold or can I reuse them all?

Also any idea of part numbers and where to get them if I do need them? I found the turbo inlet and outlet gaskets OK but not the oil and water pipe gaskets.

Lastly any advice/tips and tricks for this job or just start pulling bits off until I get to the manifold?
saunderson
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD

Re: 4JG2 Exhaust Manifold Leak

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 am

Start with several daily treatments of the manifold studs with pb blaster or similar. If you are using the car it will stink but the alternative is a high risk of breaking studs. That could turn this into a head off repair. Never reuse any gasket. ok tapet covers maybe but they are not hard to redo if they leak. Certainly you dont want to pull the exhaust system apart twice for $20 of gaskets
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby saunderson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 am

Fair enough, any idea of part numbers or where to get new gaskets for the oil and water pipes on the turbo?

Is PB Blaster just the same as CRC 5.56 or is it something much better?
saunderson
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD

Postby isuzurob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Oil feed and water hoses are copper washers and can be reused, oil drain is paper gasket, you will need a new 1 of them, replace all studs and nuts on manifold head and turbo dump pipe(if you remove dump pipe) use genuine studs and nuts if you can afford it, gaskets from sta auto parts or nz gaskets if you know someone with an account there
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm

pb blaster is the best commercially available penetrating lubricant for freeing stuck bolts. crc 556 is about 650 on the list of top 1000. Crc multilube is much better but pbblaster still wins
Absolute best you make yourself with a 50 50 mix of Dexron3 atf and acetone. If that doesnt move it nothing will
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine