• Advertisement

Problem 3.1 Turbo

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Problem 3.1 Turbo

Postby iananita » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Wanted to start this thread because there is no information on new site on this topic

Have a 95 Jackaroo 3.1 (4JG2) has a turbo noise whir when motor stopped from idle. Has done 220k, I have only just purchased the vehicle.

I understand it is a design fault with the IHI RHF5 turbo.

But what is the fix? Is there an upgrade kit or fit different turbo?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Re: Problem 3.1 Turbo

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Better start saving for a new turbo
The noise happens when the heat shield in the exhaust side of the turbo breaks free of the impeller This leaves the bearing and seal exposed to the hot exhaust. Eventually they fail either by seizing or dumping oil. This normally happens around 160k but a second hand turbo may of been fitted. This could last up to 18 months or fail tomorrow.
There is an alternative turbo you can fit but dont know the number
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 am

If you need a turbo there is some on Ebay $ 905-00 plus $ 60-00 postage from Japan use to be cheaper last month. My turbo whistels when she boosts up but when i took it off to rotate it to fit the intercooler every thing seemed nice and tight no play in it at all and i always let it run with turbo timer for 2-3 minutes when i turn the key off to cool down hope this helps.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:25 pm

A light whistle under boost is not an issue. Over time the surface of the housing gets fine stress cracks that never get any worse. As the impeller blades go past the cracks they produce a percussion sound similar to a helicopter rotor going past the tail. However as the impellor is going so fast it is heard as a whistle
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:44 pm

I can tell you it makes quite a few heads look at the MU when you hear her coming and the note off the exaust as well got a really deep note on her when you accelerate.
Would't swap it for anything own a EL fairmont ghia but selling it to get a few extras on the mu winch- snorkel- front air lokkers what a great little 4x4 and removing back seats to make room for false floor for 3 way fridge mattress and storage underneath it.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Isuzumu1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:18 pm

In the end you will have to replace it, did not think the 2.8 Rodeo's had this problem, but try these people http://www.mtqes.com.au/
One thing to remember after replacing a turbo is to put new nuts on where it goes on the Manifold and to check them after a couple hundred Ks
Cheers Anne
Isuzumu1
Isuzu Junior

City: Nanango
Vehicle: Isuzu MU Wizard

Postby iananita » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Isuzumu1 wrote:In the end you will have to replace it, did not think the 2.8 Rodeo's had this problem, but try these people http://www.mtqes.com.au/
One thing to remember after replacing a turbo is to put new nuts on where it goes on the Manifold and to check them after a couple hundred Ks

Sorry I need to update my details Now have a 3.1 Jackaroo.
Thanks for the info, have car yard warranty so it is being assessed tomorrow
iananita
Isuzu Senior

Postby stardog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Thats great to hear your covered by warranty and lets hope you get a new turbo and not a second hand one.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby Drift » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 am

Just ease your fears, though mine is 28TDI my turbo has made some wonderful noises for four years now with heavy offroad use and long motorway miles thrown in to get to the green lanes and offroad sites.

Not a drop of oil used, always let it wind down after a run and things should be fine, Ive got a few friends with the same 2.8 and their turbos sound like a jet winding down sometimes or and over fuelled truck launching other times lol.
Drift
Isuzu Baby

City: Merseyside
Vehicle: Vauxhall Frontera 2.8TDI LWB
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Pro Comp +2" ES9000 front
Rear Rough Country +4" shocks with +2" Trooper HD Coils
and 2" poly coil spacers added
Trooper LSD rear axle waiting in garden to be fitted
265/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders on Mods
Flipped BJ's
Cold start and EGR valves removed.
Particulate filter removed from Exhaust.
Poly bushed ARB's
Moved/Modified air intake
Kinky rubberised floor
Groovy foam A bar
Uprated recovery points
And other tittle tattle

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:57 am

the turbo on the 3.1 has a special problem. It whistles on shut down after the internal heat shield has burnt through. This is a terminal afliction although it might go up to 18 months
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby iananita » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 am

Well here are the results so far.

Because I have just purchased the vehicle, has warranty One mechanic says noise not normal needs attention, so warranty company sends me to their mechanic who says noise can be normal, there is no play in shaft so warranty won't pay unless turbo fails. So I'll have to sit it out or change turbo myself. Other mods can wait?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:39 pm

A little noise at certain loads and revs can be normal and not affect the life of the turbo. What you described in the first post is not this. How long is our warranty? I would be looking to raise a dispute with the warranty company on this one. Any turbo shop should back you for an expert
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:05 pm

i would agree with geeves on this as well get a turbo shop to check it out and get a their opinion on it i know i would.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby iananita » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Well, here is the conclusion to the problem.

New turbo fitted under warranty still cost me $1400 because company only wanted to fit second hand(from wreckers) and would only pay upto that amount for the total job.
New Turbo cost $1750 needed to be freighted from Melbourne.
My original turbo was not able to be rebuilt. So much for the second mechanic who got expert advise that nothing was wrong.
Thanks for the support guys for me to follow it up further.
Lessons learnt, once again when you deal with insurance or warranty companies you have no other options, I am sure I could have sourced a cheaper part and I could have done the work myself.
Now the turbo whirs away while boosting I hope this settles down
iananita
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:43 pm

turbos are never completely silent Remember the tips of the blades are supersonic
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 am

$1750 for a turbo ouch to the wallet. Yes those warrantys from car yards will only get used parts from the wreckers to use they already have your money and dont give a rats about the person who bought a car off them brisbane dealers are very good at that been there before many years ago. hope you didn't buy it from australian fleet sales biggest shonks out.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby KIWIINGENUITY » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:39 pm

geeves when you said it will dump oil what are you meaning ? like will oil be coming out from around the turbo ? always seems to be oil around my turbo. but it has been over looked up until i read this thread as my 3.1 has many more problems that seemed more urgent lol, mayb there not .. ?
everything i read about the 3.1 ubs69 turns me of it and makes me like my other isuzu engines more
for instants... Turbo has fault, head has fault, fuel pump has fault, alternator , auto hubs etc etc. I hope this is were the list ends. haha
Back to "iananita" have you thought of mayb running it without a turbo until you can save up and justify buying a new one , As a last resort obviously. thats what i would do if all alse fails.
DiESeLHeAd
KIWIINGENUITY
Isuzu Junior

City: Wanganui
Vehicle: 1988 isuzu bighorn . 2.3 turbo diesel (C223) manual
1992 isuzu bighorn . 3.1 turbo diesel (4JG2) auto
1993 isuzu mu . 2.8 turbo diesel (4JB1) auto

Postby iananita » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 pm

KIWIINGENUITY wrote:Back to "iananita" have you thought of mayb running it without a turbo until you can save up and justify buying a new one , As a last resort obviously. thats what i would do if all alse fails.

Already fitted, puts back other mods now maybe bullbar or suspension.
iananita
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 am

There is always some oil around isuzu turbos. This is from the crankcase breather and seems to seep through the gaskets. By dump oil I mean the big black cloud oil pouring from the exhaust etc etc. When the seal goes lots of oil goes down the exhaust
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby KIWIINGENUITY » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:33 pm

sweet, thanks. ill sleep better now, not that i sleept any worse haha
DiESeLHeAd
KIWIINGENUITY
Isuzu Junior

City: Wanganui