• Advertisement

Running With the Key off, All dash lights on.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Running With the Key off, All dash lights on.

Postby gomulletgo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi All,

Thanks in advance :) , I'll try to keep this brief.

Bought a UBS55 Bighorn with 4JB1-T few years back, the turbo had been removed by the owner to fix another UBS55.

I wanted to know the engine etc. condition so decided to block the oil and water to the non-existant turbo and start the vehicle, it ran nice, all gears worked. I drove it round our property and probably had it running for about 15mins tops.

Fast Forward to today, after finally getting a turbo on it and engine back together I pulled the "Fuel Cut" fuse (think that's what it was called). As I thought this would stop fuel getting to the engine so I'd be able to crank it over without starting it to let oil get into the turbo.

I gave it short sharp cranks on the key to get it turning over but not enough to start, after a while I decided oil was probably to the turbo so I tried to start the engine, a couple of cranks and a bit of accelerator and it started (note - fuel cut fuse is not installed at this point).

The engine ran nice enough but when I turned the key off the engine kept running :o :shock: So I decided I needed to starve it of air, I tried to block the fresh air side to the airbox, that didn't work so I opened the airbox with the intention of blocking the air at this point. At about this time the engine died, I believe it ran out of fuel.

A bit more messing around and I found that going from leads off to re-connected battery when the key is turned from the LOCK position to the ACC position there is a time delay then something clicks (solenoid?) and all the Dash lights come up. All the Dash Lights should only come up when the key is clicked one step further to the ON position. Around this time I re-installed the fuse, it sparked slightly upon being re-connected.

The engine could be cranked over but would not fire, I think lack of fuel is the reason.

When the key is turned to LOCK the dash lights stay on until the battery leads are removed. This is the same regardless of whether the Key goes LOCK>ACC>LOCK or LOCK>ACC>ON>START>LOCK.

I'm guessing the ignition or a solenoid has packed a sad over the years the vehicle has sat?

I look forward to hearing any comments as to what the problem may be :?:

Thanks again :)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Re: Running With the Key off, All dash lights on.

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Try the same test with all leads to the alternator removed. Ive heard of this when a non original alternator ws fitted with a different regulator. In that case a big diode fixed it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Does it have an aftermarket turbo timer?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby gomulletgo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Well we tried to get this vehicle going again today - the problem above did not present again :roll:

But we had more issues relating to the vehicle being in storage for some time. The first problem was it wouldn't rev because of lack of fuel. We eventually found was a faulty manual primer pump, we replaced it with another that was shot and finally used the one off my road going UBS55, this got it running nicely. I'm guessing the diaphragm in these things must dry out when they sit without diesel in them for too long.

I wonder who sells these manual primer pumps, I'll need to buy one shortly.

The next issue is the clutch pedal gives no resistance all the way to the floor, if you press it fast it will return. If you press it slow the pedal won't return. The clutch fluid looks a bit odd, sorta scummy. We tried to bleed the clutch but that didn't help, the pedal just doesn't pump up harder at all, the fluid coming out of the bleeder on the slave was weak with each pump. We stopped at that point. Our plan was to replace the fluid first then look further, after reading online this evening it seems that it's either, air in the fluid, stuffed master or slave.

Thanks in advance if any wisdom is added to this ;)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:30 pm

fuel primer go to the wrecker and grab anything ie surf pajero etc Worst that can happen is you will need to remember a different part no for the filter
Clutch was the fluid full? If so my money is on the master although still worth pulling the cap on the slave to check. Slave is cheaper and much easier to do master is not expensive but book your trip to the chiropractor before changing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby gomulletgo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks Geeves :D

Yes I called around about 10 places today, no one had the part. One place had a universal one $120+gst which included the filter. I've tried all the Isuzu primer pumps I had here. I've got a mate with one so I'll try that. If that doesn't work out I may try Gavin Hovius (High Country 4wd?) If that doesn't work I'll probably have to grab one off a different vehicle and make it fit.

Yes Clutch fluid was full, though it did look sorta mustard like. Think we'll change fluid, bleed, then work from there suspecting slave or master. I don't like the sound of the Chiro visit :|

Thanks again :)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:30 pm

normal cause of failure is crud stuck in the non return valve. Pull one apart they are not rocket science
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby gomulletgo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Geeves, do you mean non return valve of the primer pump? They are a sealed unit from what I can see, the top piece is pressed on, I've been told you can't work on them. Do you know otherwise? If you meant something to do with the clutch system please also share that :)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 pm

There is on the only one Ive worked on at least a metal non return valve visible with the filter off. Thats where mine had to be fixed. Only other issue Ive ever heard of is the seal on the filter not sealing.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical