• Advertisement

90km/hr Vibration - CV Inner/Outer

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: 90km/hr Vibration - CV Inner/Outer

Postby geeves » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 pm

I should of seen you have rear coils. If reseting the front susspension set it so the hight from the center of the hub to the top of the wheel arch is the same for front and back. This wont change the alignment of the gearbox to diff though. Can you post the above measurement as well. I think std is 550 but would have to check on my wagon. It would be strange to have the ball joint flip without a lift. It serves 2 purposes. First it allows wheel alignment after a lift second it restores lost wheel travel. With your susspension its not required with a 50mm or less lift but often done anyway. It is a mod that should be LVV certified but in itself causes no problems unless done incorrectly. There will be a marking on the top of each bolt. Tell us what it is please? This will tell us if they are factory bolts or high or low tensile. I have seen low tensile bolts used there along with nuts used as a spacer and the result is a potential death trap. That vehicle passed more than one wof like that.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BroNZ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

My front is 570 and rear is 560. Seems my balljoints are NOT mod'd after taking a photo on both sides the balljoints are sitting on top of the control arms.
Im losing my marbles and clutching at straws I guess. Anyway the young fulla tells me the vibration is clearly better but there is a wee wobble still.
The wheel bearings have made the biggest improvement. If the circlip on the front LH hub hadn't pooped off I'd be at this stage much earlier.
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 iSuZu SWB 6VD1 MtM 31x10.5x15s

Re: 90km/hr Vibration

Postby BroNZ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Anyway lost the circlip again so adjusted the torsion bars to get the same height all round at 555ish. The front was too high and had to jack the front and take the wheels off to free the torsion bars after lubing with inox. So took the suzy in to Speed & Lube and found the wheels/tyre are not out of round but the wheel balancing for the rear needed an extra 150gms for each wheel and the front LH needed an additional 40gms. Tyre pressure good at 38psi and just noticing the boys torquing the wheel nuts at 80ftlbs was making me feel better. Picked up some hubcentric rings to go along and we still have the wobbles at 90km. Good to share this problem with someone else so next week see what happens as there is a bit of play in the steering wheel but I can't see it being the problem.... as it doesn't wobble like the front does. I've noticed sometimes that when i brake there is a little vibration like it had ABS pumping. :(
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:51 am

if its in the front the steering wheel will normally wobble, if in the rear the whole truck will shake
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 am

tyre are not out of round but the wheel balancing for the rear needed an extra 150gms for each wheel and the front LH needed an additional 40gms.

Thats lots for a tyre thats been used. Do you know what weights they took off before starting? A new tyre can have descrepancies like this and the tyre should be marked with a red spot at the heavy bit but this wont be there now. Also rims can be out and are also marked. A good tyre fitter knows to put these marks opposite each other but you dont have that option now although rotaing the tyre 180 on the rim may change the result. On older tyres its more common to find enthusiastic brake operation has caused flat spots although abs prevents this but if the car has been sitting esspecially in cold weather the tyres do develop flat spots that clear as the tyre warms up. My work Hiace is terrible for this and its only 7000km from brand new The tyres on my new bighorn also suffer from it but Ive not noticed it in my wizard.
I think you need to eliminate the tyres from the problem by borrowing a second set and going for a drive. Is there any club isuzu members near you willing to do a tyre swap for a day?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 90km/hr Vibration - finally

Postby BroNZ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Well things have finally improved - all thanks to re-greasing the damper on the rear prop shaft, I didn't wanna spend dosh on new wheels... and started again, found the prop shaft abit wobbly but the UJs were good and my mates pulled it and re-greased the damper. The vibration up front is now minimal to the point I have a grin on ma :D face and the bullbars aint swinging from side to side anymore. I could be looking at rear shocks cos the rear is a bit stiff.
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Re: 90km/hr Vibration - GONE!!! What Vibration???

Postby BroNZ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:27 pm

:D Oh yeah :D Sooo much better... ok so not just the rear prop shaft damper needed removing ol grease and then lubed up with fresh stuff but also found the front rim had lost some balancing weights after so much travelling and persevering with the wobble....ended up cracking the welds on the front bull bar too. New rear Monroes make it sit feel snug and tight in the drivers seat going round fast tight corners too. Happy days... :D ... now to fix the Spotlights up front - filaments shaken loose and wire them up and better get the welds repaired.
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Postby mattmannz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:30 pm

The driveshaft damper doesn't have a grease point does it?
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby turnturn » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Mattmannz I was going to say the same thing. it only has the grease nipple for the sliding spline on the driveshaft. If greasing this has reduced your vibration then I suspect that it may not last very long. Only until the grease is displaced again.
The dampner is just an outer ring (flywheel) with some rubber isolater things in-between.
I have removed it from one of my Mu's with no adverse effects (so far).
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby BroNZ » Tue May 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Yeh it does have a grease nipple on it - got the old stuff taken out and the nipple cleared thru. I suspect too that it'll be a matter of time - but thats maintenance only happy to keep an eye on it every so many kms.
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Postby mattmannz » Wed May 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Post a pic. I haven't seen a damper with a fitting
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Previous