• Advertisement

hard shifting, bush? missing hose tf 5spd

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

hard shifting, bush? missing hose tf 5spd

Postby adams77 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey ther, first post,

just picked up a 01 tf rodeo 2.8td, 290k runs well, changed all fluid and noticed while i was under there a barb fitting with no hose on it.
wondering if this is some sort of breather or if it is of more importance, if it is a breather that should be easy and i can run it into the engine bay

Also gears seem quite stiff and can be loose at the same time, 4th is mushy with the gate for reverse, 1st and 2nd are quite stiff. have replaced with new oil.

I took the shifter out tonight, the top dust seal is broken, inside the selector end and bush its filthy, full of aluminised looking grease/grime. ive cleaned it out a bit, but curious if i can remove the remote housing and give it a better clean up. also the shifter itself looks to have some significant wear from friction with the grease/dirt.

Ive found a replacement bush, but is it worthwhile looking for another shifter or just clean it up and throw the new bush in and off i go?

cheers and no doubt youll hear more from me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adams77
I'm only here for the information

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Holden Rodeo TF R9

Re: hard shifting, bush? missing hose tf 5spd

Postby 98Rodeo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:50 pm

To answer the breather question, it is a breather, but doesn't have a hose, has a cap that is supposed to act as some sort of valve. Looks like yours is missing, good opportunity to run a hose from there though.
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby dani4jb1t » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:56 am

Just to add something on, this gearbox uses engine oil 15w40 ...filling it with a higher oil viscosity grade will make your shifting stiffer, specially the ones with lowest gear ratio

Check your slave & master cylinders for some fluid leakage, notice if the pedal has the right stroke to engage/disengage your clutch. Change the clutch fluid if you find it dirty and clean the recervoir.
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

City: Antofagasta
Vehicle: '93 TFS55, Solid front axle, Dual fuel tank, On board air system, Teralow 3:1, 235/85/R16

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:13 pm

On the oil also use the cheapest engine oil you can buy. Better engine oils have nice anti friction additives that are great in an engine but coat the synchros causing hard shifting. If you have filled with good oil a change will restore it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:37 pm

I've been doing a lot of research into oils lately looking into what I need to stock at work. Naturally I took the chance to looks into stocking oil for my bike and 4wd ;)

Are you sure it's not the new modern passenger car diesel oils that you are talking about geeves? They all have those super slippery additives, and will have labels saying so on the pack.
A normal oil like Rimula or Delo 400 etc should be fine in the trans. I've been using this type (Total 7400) in my bike and they are fine in that, wet clutch and all. Many people around the world use diesel oil in bikes (higher ZDDP) with no issues. Until they use the later passenger types with the anti friction stuff and suffer clutch slip.

I've got some old stock Agip super tractor oil here at work and I'll be trying that in the trans soon. I put some in the engine last change and noticed an immediate drop in oil pressure which was odd.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:31 pm

I put some Shell Helix in my box by mistake It was the cheapest oil in the shop on the day as it was on special. When the cold weather started you could forget about changing gear with only oner hand untill the oil warmed a little. Ive used Caltex super ever since Last lot was 8 bucks at the warehouse so it doesnt matter if it gets water contamination. There are some oils designed for 5 speed gearboxes that are probably ok as well and a lot of people use dexron3 atf which has possible leaks as a minor downside
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension