• Advertisement

TF Rodeo 2.8TD Automatic trans conversion

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

TF Rodeo 2.8TD Automatic trans conversion

Postby mrstrat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Hello All

I want to replace the manual in my rodeo with an auto as im lazy and ive had enough of manuals driving through the city to work. I do a lot of beach driving (Moreton, Fraser Island, Teewah) and i plan on doing some touring with it later. The vehicle i believe is quite heavy (2200kgs) as it has quite a lot of accessories for touring (suspension, bullbar, 40mm lift canopy drawers, dual batts, water tank etc etc etc...) It goes very good with the manual as the engine is tuned (interccoler, 16psi boost, exhaust fuel)...so...

My questions are:

1. How do the standard 2.8td auto mu's go on the road and on the beach in regards to power / economy?
2. Would mine being tuned handle it well or will it destroy the auto?
3. I believe there are 2 types of auto's, which one is the better one?
4. If there is a post with all this information, please post a link up, i cant find much about it.

Appreciate all the info

Cheers.
mrstrat
Isuzu Baby

City: brisbane
Vehicle: 98 R9 Rodeo turbo diesel

Re: TF Rodeo 2.8TD Automatic trans conversion

Postby stardog » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:35 pm

This is a bit different usually every body wants to go from auto to manual.
I don't know about rodeos being changed over but mu's auto and manual the gear box cross members are in different places along the chassis I think the ra rodeos came out with a auto 4x4 but don't quote me on that not sure but not the tf model.
And the auto boxes are longer than the manual box autos usually drain a bit of power as well from HP of the engine also then there is the tail shaft length is different lengths is the money worth doing that's up to you.
You say the engine is tuned to what specks bigger exhaust intercooled and fuel turned up and what power is it putting out.
stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby mrstrat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Stardog

Yeah the RA came out with one and so did the last of the TF's. Very rare. i did see one for sale on ebay last year. A 2.8 auto dual cab.

As for power, I reconditioned the engine due to it overheating and poor maintenance (worn injectors, hence all 4 pistons cracked) from the previous owner. I put a 2 3/4in mandrel exhaust, a 600 x 400 x 70mm PWR intercooler and increased the boost to 16psi. I dont know how accurate the dyno figures are as the operator said that the clutch was slipping quite bad even though it was a brand new PBR clutch. It went from 67hp to 90hp and the tractive effort on the dyno went from 510lb to 850lb. It has since been replaced with and exedy heavy duty clutch. It has 30in tyres FYI too.

Cheers.
mrstrat
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:20 pm

That's quite a difference in power 67hp to 90hp who tuned it for you in brissie.
I have a 3.1 flywheel and clutch I want to drop in my mu when I get a chance over the xmas break which I kept of my old 3.1 engine I will get the fly wheel machined next week.
I will be up at tweed heads for my mum and dads 60th wedding anniversary just after xmas wouldn't mind getting my 2.8 tuned up I have in the mu at the moment.
I remember seeing that auto TF on eBay as well im always looking on eBay and gumtree for things nearly jumped ship and was going to buy a land rover last week but I sobered up next day and thought what the hell am I thinking of doing that for.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby mrstrat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:24 am

Yeah mate, I had it tuned at Gympie diesel and dyno. They are about 2 hours north of Brisbane. Yeah, an auto would be nice, im getting lazy as i get older. I have to get a locker for the back and a winch first.

Thanks for your help mate.
mrstrat
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension