• Advertisement

Won't go forward just reverse?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Won't go forward just reverse?

Postby Isuzumu3point1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:04 am

I posted a topic in electrical a few weeks ago. I believe it's related because when I tried going forward the fuse blew.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6960
Just in case it isn't here's what's happened. Put the the car into 1st and tried driving forward, wouldn't budge as if the handbrake was on, it wasn't. Gave it a few more revs and the fuse (EGR-QOS) blew. Put a new fuse in, started tried going forward easy nothing. Put it into reverse no problem drove a few metres no issues what so ever. Tried forward again and she's stuck.
I'm thinking something to do with the 4wd. When I started it the 4wd light stayed illuminated for a few secs even though it's in 2wd. I'm thinking this only because I've seen other people on here having this issue but with the front axles. My issue seems to be the rear left. I jacked up the back and took off the rear wheels and calipers thinking it was a seized caliper at first. Turned the rear right hub no problem. Could only turn the left hub in reverse not forward. With it jacked turned the engine on and put it first; the right hub turns with the prop shaft but left hub just shudders?

Anyone encounter this before? Have any solutions? Thanks in advance
Lee
Isuzumu3point1
Isuzu Baby

City: Stanley
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu MU 3.1 TD

Re: Won't go forward just reverse?

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:44 pm

my money is on a broken diff. Take the driveshaft off and try the turn the wheels again
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Isuzumu3point1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:49 am

Took drive shaft off. Right hub turns like yesterday, left still seized. I'm now thinking the left half shaft might be at fault. Will take it out tonight have a look
Isuzumu3point1
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 am

Could be just the bearing but chances are against it. It will be obvious when you take it out if this is the fault.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:36 am

Perhaps it is the handbrake. It is not part of the foot brake disc/caliper set up. It is a drum brake system.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:06 pm

possible but I still think diff
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Isuzumu3point1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:09 am

Took the caliper off and assumed the disc would come off with a few knocks. Something seems to be holding fast to it on the backside? Any ideas.
Sorry if these seem like simply questions, but I'm new to all this and the more help I can get, the more knowledge I gain on these vehicles. Thanks
Isuzumu3point1
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:07 am

the handbrake is inside the disk, make sure the handbrake is off, you will have to back it off with a screw driver, should be a hole in the disk face where the wheel bolts against, if not you will have to just bar it off, it normally just tears the shoes off there mounts, sounds like the brakes are jamming on as the wegde on when driving forward and unwedge when reversing
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby Isuzumu3point1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:07 am

Thanks rob. There was no hole to back it off but with a little persuasion it did eventually come off. So, turns out the park/drum brake on the left wheel has been holding the hub. With the brake disc removed the hubs move freely back and forth now. So happy that it's not serious and I don't need to be sourcing a new diff/shaft/axle. Still not sure why it had stuck yet but will clean everything up and try put back together.
Isuzumu3point1
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:49 am

thats good news
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension