• Advertisement

1st/2nd switch

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1st/2nd switch

Postby Steveh101 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi guys, replaced my gearbox in the Monterey due to 5th gear obliterating. Fitted new 2nd hand gearbox only to find it had no 1st/2nd switch (top right hand of gearbox), just a blanking plug. So fitted my old switch but nothing happens. Seems there should be a pin or something in the hole to activate the switch, (rookie error must have overlooked before recycled old box). My question is, does anyone have a part number for what I need to purchase? or can someone direct me to what I need to make, I have access to a lathe so can machine one up if need be just need dimensions. Could be totally wrong but its all can think of! I'm getting code 23 transmission input abnormality and ABS light lamp illuminating at around 65 mph which never happened before gearbox replacement.

Thanks in advance guys, hope someone can help me out.

Steve
Steveh101
I'm only here for the information

City: Wirral
Vehicle: 3.1 td Vauxhall Monterey

Re: 1st/2nd switch

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm

What year? At a guess they might use different computers so no need for the switch in the new box. Of course that might not be a desirable answer
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:08 pm

Steve, have a look at the attached pictures. They are from a Mu manual but I suspect they are very similar to yours. You are correct that there should be a small pin between the detents/ball bearing on the gear selector mechanism and the switch on a gearbox intended for an ABS equipped vehicle. The pin would appear to be Ø5.5 x 20.7 long. FYI Ø5.5 is pretty close to 7/32" so you could try and get a 7/32" x 1" dowel and cut to length. I reckon that the ball bearing would be Ø6.0

I do wonder though, if a gearbox built for a non ABS equipped vehicle may be missing the detents on the side of the 1st/2nd gear selector fork (part #33) for the ball bearing. The parts book doesn't seem to indicate this though as I would have thought that it would have received another part number from about late 1995 onwards (when ABS appeared in Mu's). Part #395 and #497 etc. only make an appearance in November 95.

It is possible, although difficult, to get your phone up in there and take a photo down the bore. You can see the detents in 1st and 2nd gear and just the selector shaft in neutral.

I had a similar problem with one of my Mu's. From memory I just left that switch unplugged and the ABS light stopped coming on.

My understanding is, and I could be wrong, that this switch lets the ABS know that you are in 1st or 2nd gear and it alters its settings for a lower speed. So if you're not worried about that aspect then just leave it unplugged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby Steveh101 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks for info guys, i machined the pin up and got hold of a 5.5mm ball bearing, popped it in and all works as it should now!
https://imgur.com/a/p8NF1qk
Steveh101
I'm only here for the information

City: Wirral
Vehicle: 3.1 td Vauxhall Monterey

Postby turnturn » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Steve, good to know that it worked. I might get around to doing the same myself one day. It'll stop the WOF man asking why my switch is unplugged.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension