• Advertisement

Supamu almost done

Show us your Rig!

Supamu almost done

Postby supamu » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Description:
Vince and Robyn been 4wding for 10years+ we live in New Zealand, so plenty of good 4wding here.

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension: leaf spring front and rear
Body Lift: 40mm
Tyres/Wheels: not yet
Traction Aids: LSD rear
Bullbar: modified ARB
Spot lights and Lighting: lots
Communications/GPS: CB radio
Dual Batteries: twin batteries and alternators
Engine: standard 2.8TD
Exhaust: 2.5"
Sound system: not bad
External: work in progress, currently snorkel, front and rear winches, rear winch bar, bonnet scoop etc.
Internal: to be completed
Others:

Pictures:

Heres a few snippets of our truck, bit shy to show the rest, she looks pretty rough compared to all the other rigs.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Re: Supamu almost done

Postby Captcol » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Nice list of mods, would be interested to see the front and rear bar work, nice spot for the second battery, I am going to try and put mine there, or maybe a compressor. One day I will make up my mind.
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby supamu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Will put more photos up as we finish. We put our compressor in the back where the jack used to go.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby jellis » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 am

id love to see some more pics of the way you have done the sas
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby supamu » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:01 am

Here's our thread off the old boards.
http://clubisuzu.proboards.com/index.cg ... hread=3469

It sat around for a while due to lack of funds, but finishing it off again now, will be road legal in 2-3weeks all going well.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby Captcol » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Looking at your intercooler, was your turbo facing that way to start with or was it possible to rotate it?
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

Postby ONO2HI » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:29 am

whos doing the cert? we should go for a play sometime be intereted in how our sas truck compare
ONO2HI
Isuzu Junior

City: napier
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu, SASed, hilux diffs front and rear, 4.8 diffs, custom crossover steering, ifs hub swap, SOA in the rear, rear disc conversion, 35x12.5x15 MTRS

Postby supamu » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Will probably get Danny McKenna to do it, hopefully goes through ok. Is yours certed? Not sure what tires we'll use for cert yet. Have 31 roadies which look a bit silly on, or worn 33" Jungle trekkers which are noisy and handle rough on the road. Would be good to see your truck, will let you know when we are ready to try it out.
Captcol -sorry can't remember, think the turbo was always that way, this has been a long project.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:39 pm

If you are running the disk brake handbrake you are going to struggle on the braking test on anything bigger than 32 inch tyres. I cant pass the standard handbrake test on 32s and 31s need attention every second wof.
Only long term answer would be to get a diff from a 3.1 and swap all the brake parts over. This would need cert but you are already after a cert so no issue
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby ONO2HI » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:54 pm

yeah ive been certed for over 1 year now, as for tires it doesnt matter what tyre you run they only check your rim size, the height measurement is take from the centre of the hub to the top of your guard, so go for the 31s so your braking is better, providing your 31s are on the same rim size as your simexs,
im actually thinking of selling mine as i want to coil and v8 a new truck
ONO2HI
Isuzu Junior

City: napier
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu, SASed, hilux diffs front and rear, 4.8 diffs, custom crossover steering, ifs hub swap, SOA in the rear, rear disc conversion, 35x12.5x15 MTRS

Postby Captcol » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 pm

from what I read I thought any % change of rolling diameter greater than 5% needs certing, mine is about a 12% change.
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

Postby supamu » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Our first cert plate only mentions rim size and had the simex on for that, so thats good, will use the 31s this time then. Put coils and v8 on your mu, then we'll have something to copy when we win lotto ;-) Tray back would be cool too.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:02 am

My low vol plare has the tyre size written on it. Also even if it is not there it is on the other documentation.
A case I heard about a year or so ago that was published in the constructors cars magazine. Certifier got a call from police re a cruiser he had certified that had been involved in a fatal accident. They were most interested in the tyre size. Turned out it had been originally presented on 35s but failed the brake test It came back on 33s and passed It was wearing 35s the day of the crash. If the documentation wasnt correct the certifier could of been charged with manslaughter even though the vehicle had been certed 2 years before.
It pays to get the cert on the tyres you intend to use. Im guilty on this one as Im certed on 31s but run 32s most of the time and a tyre that is a truer 32 than most 33s occasionaly. 31s are kept just for wof
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Captcol » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:02 pm

I am going to have to sort this brake test issue
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

Postby oompalompa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:11 pm

geeves wrote:If you are running the disk brake handbrake you are going to struggle on the braking test on anything bigger than 32 inch tyres. I cant pass the standard handbrake test on 32s and 31s need attention every second wof.
Only long term answer would be to get a diff from a 3.1 and swap all the brake parts over. This would need cert but you are already after a cert so no issue

my trucks standard tyres are 29, am running 31.5s and was looking to move up to 33s. am a little concerned as to safety given yours comments above and below, as could have all my kids, dog,(maybe the wife lol) on board. we could probably trick wof/cof people to pass but what is safe. i cant afford to keep going back for cof everytime i change my tyre size and that is if you trust the complete stranger doing it. i want to do things right and like to errr on the side of caution, as the price to pay failure is far to great, but i like big tyres. when it comes to tyre size, is there a difference between the disc and drum brakes on the bighorns and other such braking systems and how badly affected is the stopping capability of said vehicles
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Capital all wizzards have the good brakes
ompla same goes for ubs61 bighorns

Even the full disc system on the ubs and ucs 55 will pass the braking test applied during certification This test is to accelerate to 100kph and stop 3 times in 3 minutes. When mine was done the certifier said it didnt pass because it couldnt accelerate fast enough but the brakes were ok. I told him he hadnt thrashed it hard enough.
The only problem with the ucs/ubs 55s is the handbrake which is hopeless. If you have an auto then placeing in park overcomes this.
Certification is a do once catch all thing. It doesnt matter how many mods you have the fee is the same. Do all your mods before cert as the one mod you miss will cost just as much.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby BrokenMu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 pm

So, how do you overcome the handbrake issue with the ubs55? any hill over 45deg and mine begins to roll back..
BrokenMu
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8TDI

Postby supamu » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:43 am

The handbrakes are hopeless, we usually manage to get them 'fixed' for the warrant then they are back to how they were by the end of the day. I guess they are only a safety issue if you are not aware of that. Just assume they will not hold, so park on the flat, turned off in gear or use park if you have an auto. Main brakes still work good.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:42 pm

If it holds up to 45 deg then it is fixed. I always leave in gear and turn the wheel towards the bank
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby BrokenMu » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:46 pm

So i'm going to need 3.1 brake parts then.. everywhere I go, there's a bloody hill :(

Sorry for hijacking your thread.. love your Mu.. i've already begun looking into the hilux diff front end :D
Is the rear as simple as bolting the leafs on the wrong side of the axles, or is there more to it than that?
BrokenMu
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8TDI

Next

Return to Members Rigs