• Advertisement

Nick's little Red Devil

Show us your Rig!

Nick's little Red Devil

Postby gixxer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:43 am

Description:

Hey all, I'm Nick a long time lurker :D I'm 37 years old and live Northcote, Auckland NZ. I've had my 1992 Isuzu MU for 4 or 5 years now. I scored it of trademe in below average condition for $1,500 NZD. I haven't done much 4wheeling in the year or so but plan to hook back up with the Rodney Off Road Club, north of Auckland, again in the near future. I can't say enough good things about the Woodhill 4x4 Park, I've been a semi regular visitor since it opened. I love that, without any prior planning, you can just rock up any weekend, either alone or as a group, and spent the whole day enjoying the tracks.

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension:
Lifted ~50mm, Cranked torsion bars & ball joints flipped at the front, extended Shackles at rear
Sway-bar removed

Body Lift:
Lifted ~55mm

Tyres/Wheels:
ALL my tyres are 31x10.5x15 and they all crappy and need to be replaced!!!
On Road - Std 15x7 MU mags with H/Ts in front and of A/Ts at rear
Off Road - 15X8 black steel rims with M/Ts that were past there best when I got them, at least two years ago :-(

Traction Aids:
Front Open
Rear std LSD

Bullbar:
Not until I get around to building something

Spot lights and Lighting:
None

Communications/GPS:
A Uniden AM CB set - not properly mounted still haven't made up my mind on the best location for it
A pair of Midland G7 hand held PRS/UHF CBs - Yet to be fully tested in the bush but so far I'm impressed with them
A Uniden 501 GPS unit - I've had this a couple of years now, got it as it was cheap. It's been very handy not bad for recoding tracks and monitoring speed & distance etc. Where it is not so good is in compatibility, you can't export the tracks into other units or software and uniden has not updated the drivers to support Vista or Win'7.

Dual Batteries:
Not at this time

Engine:
4JB1-T - 2.8lt Turbo Diesel - Now inter-cooled
Rotated the turbo to fit the Bighorn inter-cooler (I've also got a BH bonnet scoop to go on sometime...)
Boost wound up and Gauge fitted
Completely rebuilt injector pump with the fuel Cranked up
Removed the complete EGR system

Exhaust:
Removed the butterfly valves from the exhaust down-pipe and inter-cooler (both part of an 'Extreme cold weather' quick warm up system)

Sound system:

A cheap Taiwanese stereo, looks funky but has a wireless remote, CD, Radio and MP3(via CDs, USB or SD card so no skipping or scratching CDs no matter how rough the track gets)

External:
Snorkle, Rated front & rear hooks
I have a bonnet scoop all ready to attached and I'm planing to build rock sliders and also front and rear bars in the near future

Internal:

NO carpet, NO air-con, NO back seat... you get the idea?

Pictures:

30073280_full.JPG

Wow it was shinny 8-)

30073308_full.JPG

Some Woodhill Shots

DSCF4857.JPG

DSCF4666.JPG

DSCF4750.JPG

DSCF4189.JPG

DSCF4267.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gixxer
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1-T used as a daily driver & weekend mud toy!
Rear LSD, 50mm body lift, torsion bar lift and extended shackles, balljoint flip, snorkel, advanced pump timing, increased diesel and boost,
+ lots of scratches and dings

Re: Nick's little Red Devil

Postby pig75 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 am

What brand is the snorkel?
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby gixxer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 am

Short answer:

Good question but I have no idea sorry.

Long answer, still no idea but a bit of background :-)

There are no make or model markings on it, I got it second hand about 3 years ago of a guy who was stripping a complete MU.

The only thing I can tell you about the snorkel that you can't see from the pics is that it is made of fiberglass rather than ABS. It had a short, hardly visible, hairline crack when I got it which over time vibration turned into a long large tear. A quick fiberglass patch fixed it up and has taken it's fair share of bumps and knocks without damage. Being fiberglass though I'm sure a really decent bash would be quite damaging but not hard to repair.

Cheers
Nick
gixxer
Isuzu Baby

Rear LSD, 50mm body lift, torsion bar lift and extended shackles, balljoint flip, snorkel, advanced pump timing, increased diesel and boost,

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:41 pm

I think Ive seen that snorkle before. It could be on the old forum and home made. If its the same one there is a big write up there
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby gixxer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 pm

That's interesting, I'll have to do some searching.
gixxer
Isuzu Baby

Return to Members Rigs