• Advertisement

My %#$* MU

Show us your Rig!

Re: My %#$* MU

Postby isuzurob » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:47 am

the gearbox cant fill the transfer?? gearbox has a seal in the tailshaft and transfer has one on the input shaft if either of them leak oil runs out the notch where the two bolt together, mine overfill with water etc very easily, have extended them all and put those small plastic fuel filters on the ends of the hoses
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby MrRevhead » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 pm

So if either of the seals go you just get a leak between the sections?
I wonder if the previous person filled it through the breather and read the gear box amount lol
Seems to shift a little better now I've done the oil. I think it had a think gearbox oil in it. Certainly smelt like it.

Yeah I must remember to extend the breathers before I take it through rivers. Going to be a while before that happens though!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby MrRevhead » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:05 pm

In the repair manual under trouble shooting it mentions grease in the change lever. Are you meant to fill the area where the lever pivots with grease? Can't mention of it elsewhere
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby muzila » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Sounds a bit like a case of filling through the gearstick hole. Seen that done before. Both for the gearbox and the transfer case. I mentioned to the fella that it was a bad idea to do it that way.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 am

Found something interesting after researching a bit more. Keeping in mind I have an earlier Bighorn engine and was told the donor box came from a bighorn, albeit unknown modelBULLETIN NUMBER
SB92-05-005
ISSUE ATE
September 24, 1992
GROUP
TRANSMISSION
MUA TRANSMISSION TRANSFER CASE OIL SEALS
AFFECTED VEHICLES
Trooper (KT), Rodeo (UC), Pickup (TF) and Amigo (TC) 4-wheel drive manual transmission
models produced before July 1991, equipped with V6 or 2.6L 4ZE1 engine.
SERVICE INFORMATION
Excessive oil in the transfer case and low oil level in the main transmission case indicates that
oil is seeping past the transfer case oil seals (Figure 1). If this condition is present, follow the
procedures in this Service Bulletin for transmission diagnosis/repair.
As mentioned in the Service Policy and Procedures ManuaI (section 6.1-7), replace individual
components rather than complete assemblies whenever possible.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. If there is excessive oil in the transfer case and low oil level in the main transmission case,
Proceed to Step 2.
2. If necessary, bring the transmission and transfer case oil levels to their proper quantities.
OiI Quantity Specifications:
Transmission OiI - 3.1 quarts (2.95 Iiters)
Transfer Case OiI - 1.5 quarts (1.45 Iiters)
3. Road test the vehicle, checking for normal transmission operation.
4. a. If road test reveals symptoms of transmission damage, perform transmission repairs as
necessary, following the procedures in the appropriate Workshop ManuaI. Ensure that new
transfer case oil seals are installed during the repair.
NOTE
Use transfer case oil seals listed in the "Parts lnformation" section of this Service Bulletin.
b. If road test reveals normal transmission operation, remove the transmission assembly from
the vehicle and replace the transfer case off seals as described in the appropriate
Workshop ManuaI.
IMPORTANT
The new transfer case oil seals must be installed squarely into the transmission or leakage will
occur.
Before reinstalling the transfer case rear cover, install a layer of black electrician's tape around
the front output shaft, from the splines to the end of the shaft. This will protect the oil seals from
becoming damaged. Remove this tape after reinstalling the transfer case rear cover.
PARTS INFORMATION
8-94422-392-0
Transfer Case Oil Seal
Quantity required 2
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 am

different that is only for petrol models but good info
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am

Oh ok, well easy enough to keep an eye on. I should check to see if it has any breathers
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Ive heard of it happening and seen a post here asking about why oil was coming out the breather on a transfer case In that case gearbox oil was low
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Started making a weird noise today. Found nuts on turbo downpipe loose/gone!
So much for conelocs :lol:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm

So fitted a catch can.
Clear line out of the had to the can doesn't even have any drops in it! It's spotless :?:
Might have to pull the tappet cover off and check that valve thingy

Checked the transfer oil again to see if it's over filling, no change in the level so fingers crossed.

Did find the l/h hand brake cable is missing the metal cover where it loops though the caliper so is wearing out :evil:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 pm

just pull the hose off and see if you can feel a small aomunt of air coming out the rocket cover, shows you did a good rebuild, good about your gearbox, my trucks never had the plastic/nylon bits on the calipers 3 years still hasnt worn though the cables, i have been waiting for it though
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:42 pm

I only did the bottom end, didn't pull the head off as if I did it would have been another pile of cash.
Also It has shown no signs of smoke or anything so didn't see the need to do rings.
The only thing it does do, is first thing in the morning it blows blue smoke on start up. Quite a cloud! But only for a few seconds. So must have a leaky valve seal or something.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 am

If its not consuming oil in any quantity dont worry about it. It might still be cold diesel smoke esspecially if you have old injectors
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Fitted new front shocks in the weekend. Just cheap KYBs, made a big improvement!

Now, under body protection...
Who can tell me where this goes:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Mr ... 145909.jpg
I can't remember!

I have the front skid plate, I know I'm missing the one that goes sideways for the transfer case. Is there any more? From the front skid plate to the diff the engine looks quite exposed
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby turnturn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 pm

I think that the part you mention above bolts to the rear edge of the front bash plate and fills in the gap between the front bash plate and the front diff. I think that it generally covers the lower loop of the starter motor main wire.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby tbecroft » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Mine came from under the belts, seems to protect the fan belt ect. Will put mine back on and take a photo if needed..
tbecroft
Isuzu Baby

City: Cairns
Vehicle: 90 MU Spare Parts for my 93 MU

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 am

turnturn wrote:I think that the part you mention above bolts to the rear edge of the front bash plate and fills in the gap between the front bash plate and the front diff. I think that it generally covers the lower loop of the starter motor main wire.

That would be a reasonable size part
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 am

tbecroft wrote:Mine came from under the belts, seems to protect the fan belt ect. Will put mine back on and take a photo if needed..

Cheers, will have another look there.

Might just crawl under one at the supermarket :mrgreen:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:30 am

Oh, if anyone needs MU drivers door window switches, try and pressure the Holden dealer. $95 trade plus gst
Maybe even ask what they can do if they order it in a stock order ;)
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby turnturn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:21 am

Here's a photo taken of a 1992 Mu. Photo has been taken from behind the front right hand wheel. Sorry that the photo doesn't really show what it bolts to but was the best I could do.

My post earlier (above) refers to a 94 (3.1) Mu where the guard attaches differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

PreviousNext

Return to Members Rigs