• Advertisement

rolly the rodeo

Show us your Rig!

rolly the rodeo

Postby komaterpillar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 am

**edited to suit the template at the top of this section**

gday all

my names brett, new to the forum so thought i would start a thread on my rodeo

about 3 months ago i was after a second hand ute. requirements were - dual cab, turbo diesel, 4wd, and thats about it. then along came this tidy number - a '96 tf rodeo, 2.8 turbo diesel, already fitted with a TJM Tourer Top canopy, TJM alloy winch bar and a Hayman Reese towbar, bought it off some bloke for an extremely cheap figure - about 3 grand under market value - because it was running like a bag of shite and he had been quoted $2000 by his "mechanic" to remove the injector pump and reseal it. i'm a diesel fitter by trade so, half a day later and $4.60 for a injector pump drive shaft seal and it was back to behaving how it should.

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension: 2 inch lift front and rear - cranked torsion bars, extended shackles, ball joint flip, front swaybar removed
Body Lift: not yet but plan to
Tyres/Wheels: 245 75r16 maxxis 762 bighorn's on black 16x7 sunraysias
Traction Aids: 4wd systems lokka coming soon
Bullbar: TJM alloy winch compatible bar
Spot lights and Lighting: hella rallye 1000's (gay as aids but had them in the shed, so cost me nothing)
Dual Batteries: not yet
Engine: 4JB1-T, intercooler in the future + more boost
Exhaust: stock, 3 inch dump pipe and full system one day
Sound system: nothing special
External: TJM Tourer Top canopy, haymen reese towbar, rock sliders one day, snorkel one day
Internal: GME UHF, dual batteries one day,
Others: clutch fan was fingered so on went a set of thermo fans from a falcon
resealed the injector pump
new nozzles and needles on injectors
fuel rack screw and boost aneroid wound up

Pictures:

the day after i picked it up

metalic green paint

first up were the spotties and uhf

then i got these muddies really cheap

off of this

and fitted with 2 inches of lift front and rear

before

after

and thats my rocket :D
Last edited by komaterpillar on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

City: tbar
Vehicle: 96 rodeo 2.8 turbo diesel

Re: rolly the rodeo

Postby 98Rodeo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Looks great! wishing the paint on my 98 rodeo was that good.
Have you got any details of how you wound the star wheel on the boost aneroid in?
I have heard of using spacer washers before but not adjusting it.
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby komaterpillar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:40 pm

98Rodeo wrote:Have you got any details of how you wound the star wheel on the boost aneroid in?

sort of hard to explain but this thread does a pretty good job, a lot of trial and error. i didn't go to crazy cause i got a bit scared of exhaust gas temps and i haven't got a EGT gauge :oops:

http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3242

and also this which is for a cummins but is same same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPnjE3neoM
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby komaterpillar » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:40 pm

anyone got any suggestions on what i should do next?

was thinking something along the lines of either
- front lokka from http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29
or - xr6 turbo intercooler top mounted with the wider current shape hilux scoop
or - setting up dual batteries and a compressor for on board air and other stuff (already have a 6 litre tank)
or - winch and winch cradle from http://www.tigerz11.com.au/
or - respray tub, canopy, and tailgate (paints faded on canopy, stone chips on tailgate, and tub needs a tidy up)
or - body lift (already have electric fans fitted)
or - snorkel (don't plan on doing any creek crossings any time soon)
or - big zorst with dump pipe from the turbo (i don't want it to sound like a tractor)

any input appreciated :mrgreen: what are everyones thoughts?
Last edited by komaterpillar on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:28 am

Dont know how you use your wagon so its a hard question.
Dont know why you picked on a xr6 intercooler or how hard it will be to make brackets If you can get it cheap why not. Hilux scoop could be pricy tho
Snorkle also helps of gravel roads and most people that fit them do get a small power and ecconomy improvement
body lift. I wouldnt bother if your tyres fit ok
locker and winch if you do mud work they will be usefull.
Dual battery is good for a winch or fridge but otherwise unneeded.
paint You can do mine once you have done yours Its been asking for a paint tidy up for 16 years
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby komaterpillar » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:43 am

geeves wrote:Dont know how you use your wagon so its a hard question.
Dont know why you picked on a xr6 intercooler or how hard it will be to make brackets If you can get it cheap why not. Hilux scoop could be pricy tho
Snorkle also helps of gravel roads and most people that fit them do get a small power and ecconomy improvement
body lift. I wouldnt bother if your tyres fit ok
locker and winch if you do mud work they will be usefull.
Dual battery is good for a winch or fridge but otherwise unneeded.
paint You can do mine once you have done yours Its been asking for a paint tidy up for 16 years

gday geeves

thanks for the input mate, i picked the xr6 intercooler because i see them all the time on ebay and gumtree for under $100 secondhand so there cheap and plentiful, also in this thread http://clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2628 it looks like it was almost made to go there :mrgreen: i thought of the hilux scoop because the new ones are fairly wide and deep so will cover a fair chunk of the intercooler.

its mainly gonna be used for touring ie. fishing and camping and the odd bit of forbyin with mates (probably once or twice a month) it struggles a bit so i thought a front lokka would be the go to make it that bit more capable and fun. and the winch for that time just in case.

the fridge, shower and other 12v gear gets used quite a bit so i reckon dual batteries would be worth the effort.

and the paint, well thats just something to keep the old girl tidy

sort of just stuck with what order to tackle it all :lol:
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 pm

that intercooler does look to fit well but the pipework is interesting Looks like the inlet is on the left and outlet on the right with 2 pipes taking the air to the correct side
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 98Rodeo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 am

I went the snorkel first as almost everytime I went through any water over the hubs I ended up with a wet air filter as the way it sits tends to get the water thrown into it.
This got quite annoying having to carry and buy so many filters.

And what geeves said

The dual battery/compressor is an interesting one if you want it all under the bonnet,
not a whole lot of room, I mounted an arb compressor where the normal spot for the second battery is and put a gel cell battery on the floor behind the drivers seat, this runs my fridge and stereo which are where the back seat was.
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby komaterpillar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 am

haven't been here in a while but bit of an update

98Rodeo wrote:I went the snorkel first as almost everytime I went through any water over the hubs I ended up with a wet air filter as the way it sits tends to get the water thrown into it.
This got quite annoying having to carry and buy so many filters.

snorkel is now high on the list of priorities. :lol:

98Rodeo wrote:The dual battery/compressor is an interesting one if you want it all under the bonnet,
not a whole lot of room, I mounted an arb compressor where the normal spot for the second battery is and put a gel cell battery on the floor behind the drivers seat, this runs my fridge and stereo which are where the back seat was.

was thinking of mounting the compressor (and a 6 litre air tank i've already got) behind the rear seat and putting the second battery in the engine bay in the normal spot. at the moment im in the middle of mounting/wiring up a few extra 12 volt outlets under the passenger front seat on the ridge that the front of the seat bolts to, neat and tidy and out of sight

i have also replaced the front wheel bearings, doing the rears soon. any pitfalls or things to watch out for before i dive in?
and i built a false floor with drawers for the rear. makes it so much easier packing the ute when camping

pics:

then forgot to take pics for a few hours but this was next

and now when it all turns to shite, all my recovery gear, tools, and spares are at the rear and easily accessible

and

and thats the limit of my woodworking skills. :mrgreen:
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby iananita » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:25 am

Bang for buck, front lokka is great. Check with independant4x.com usually cheaper to get from US than from SA.

Bigger zoost helps with performance, get BrokenMu dump pipe here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1893, if he has any left.
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby komaterpillar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am

iananita wrote:Bang for buck, front lokka is great. Check with independant4x.com usually cheaper to get from US than from SA.

Bigger zoost helps with performance, get BrokenMu dump pipe here http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1893, if he has any left.

plan was to get a front lokka asap but the lokka money ended up getting spent on the bloody house (wife has no idea of priorities :lol: haha)

i think to fit a dump pipe to these you've gotta replace the oil filter housing with the updated version from a newer rodeo for clearance. mine has the older style with the filter pointing upwards, whereas the newer style has the filter pointing down and back, is this correct?
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby komaterpillar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 am

just read the thread about the dump pipes - confirms i need the newer filter housing, lucky my old man has a written off 99 rodeo in his back yard :mrgreen:
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby iananita » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm

This might be worth a look for the lokka

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php ... odeojacka/
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby komaterpillar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

cheers mate will keep an eye on that link, won't contact old mate until i've definately got the coin set aside for it, don't want to (EDIT) muck him around. thanks again :mrgreen:
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby muzila » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Just remember this is a family friendly forum guys..... :)
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby komaterpillar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:30 pm

gday all, quick up date and repost to replace the posts that were lost last week

got a mad side awning coupla weeks ago. its a RIDGE RYDER awning stocked by supercheap, seen it and it was cheap so i thought f*ck it can't be that bad. Well I'm impressed, the quality is far better than my mates TIGERZ11 awning, the material is heavier, the poles feel heavier, and the twist locks actually work!! :mrgreen:

said on the box that the material is 800g a square metre. i think tigerz11 and RooSystems awnings are 420g a square metre?
pretty pumped to get out and test it out.

then last weekend was sitting at home, raining outside bored outta my brains, so i took rolly out for a bit of fun. all i've got to say is MAXXIS BIGHORN's are friggin awesome in the mud, clay, rock crawling.... whatever you want to throw at them offroad, but try and pull up in a hurry on wet bitumen and your just a passenger.

all flexed up in a washout. need to remove the rear bump stops for more articulation, the rear wheel thats compressed is on the bump stop, if the bump stop wasn't there the other wheel probably wouldn't be off the ground.

then on the way home had a bit of fun on a black soil road, was boggy as. the bighorns do an awesome job as long as you can keep wheel speed up, even when your only just moving, to clear the tread blocks and they just keep chewing through...NOM NOM NOM

Then a coupla days later my clutch master cylinder shat itself, leaking down the firewall on the inside, peeled the boot back on the slave and it was leaking to. So new clutch master and slave cylinders fitted, and rolly was back to his full awesomeness. :mrgreen:

And now we're up to today

So got a maaad roof basket today, pretty happy with it. can't wait to go camping and throw some shite up there.

and made up some brackets to hold me tool box and fire extinguisher

And thats where rolly is currently at. :mrgreen: I go back to work on wednesday for 2 weeks then next home hitch me, rolly and the wife and i are hopefully packin up and goin fishin for a week or two :D
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby komaterpillar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:51 pm

took rolly and the wife to murphy's creek escape today for a look. was a pretty good day out.

bit of footage of rolly in action on their "4wd track". It was labled as "extreme - experienced drivers only" on the map, but was pretty mediocre in reality, but still fun :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SktJe40LuU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C23sh2e090o
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby komaterpillar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 pm

goin fishing for a week :mrgreen:

komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby komaterpillar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:35 am

bought some mad shit for this recently

when we got back from our last fishing trip our 3-way fridge was really struggling so i went and bought one of these - a 65L PRIMUS dual zone fridge freezer, its friggin awesome on 12 volts in the back of the car it took 45 minutes to pull the temp inside down from +21 degrees to -12degrees and about another 20 minutes to get down to -18. no more hot beers for me

http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/index.php?p=line&sid=1341895712

so then i had to get a dual battery set up for the ute so i bought 2 x 100Ah deep cycle batteries and this to charge them off the ute battery

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300886966014?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

then i got these to keep the batteries topped up when the ute is parked for a few days and the fridge/freezer is running

a 100w solar panel to mount on the roof of the canopy, it will take up most of the roof space and you can't see it from the ground when you are standing beside the ute

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271002601516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and a 30amp solar controller with data logging for the previous 3 days to keep everything happy

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261004126227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and these 12 volt outlets for the tray of the ute for power in the rear

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300869441125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and incase everything goes to shit and its raining and cloudy and no solar power i bought this just to run the fridge and a battery charger, a 1kVa ultra quiet gennie, its supposed to be only 53dB, and run for 4 hours on 2.5 litres of fuel

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130795073913?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i have also enquired about a long rang fuel tank, just waiting on the supplier to get back to me with a price and availability. it'll take my poxy 48litre capacity out to 112 litres

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/rodeo03longrangefueltank.html

pics will be posted when everything is fitted up
Last edited by komaterpillar on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Postby komaterpillar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:35 am

*LINKS FIXED* :mrgreen:
komaterpillar
Isuzu Baby

Next