• Advertisement

fiordland monorail

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

fiordland monorail

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 pm

This hair brained proposal from a tourist hotel chain will force tourists to take the hotel owned monorail and boat if they want to go to Milford Sound. If another person wants to visit Milford sound they have to stay in the hotel.
Much of the route for this is through pristine environment that will be wrecked forever esspecially when they fail to make enough money and just walk away. This will leave something as ugly as a mine but 50km long.
Please sign the partition asking the government to prevent it being built. The partition to stop the tunnel worked.
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-pl ... itage-area
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: fiordland monorail

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Done
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby muzila » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Now even though I agree and will sign. COULD this post be classed as spam and the poster be blocked??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :o :o

I can be so evil sometimes. lol :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 pm

May they build a monorail down your street then say the only way to use the street is on there monorail which you can only get on and off inside there hotels if you have a room booked and paid for.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Im with Alan on this its not just the damage to Fiordland s pristine environment its also the fact that the only people to benefit from it are big international tourist operators its just another example of our government trying to sell off the environment to big corporations at no benifit the normal New Zealand people
Fiordland belongs to the people of NZ along with all our national parks
National parks are for all New Zealanders to enjoy not just the few that can afford to pay for the experience
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 pm

I think the reality is that it was a pipe dream anyway. I cant see how it could of sustained a long term profit but sooner or later a scheme will come up that will go ahead if we dont keep objecting to things like this
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:25 pm

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/fiordla ... ck-5664174

not looking like such a pipe dream now unfortunately
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:56 pm

314 submissions 27 in support.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:48 am

we need to get that number upto 314,000 against and only 27 for lol

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Subbmissions are done and dusted Have to use other methods now. Things like finding a rare highly endangered bird habitat on the route.
Anyone feel like helping some whio migrate to a new valley?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:22 am

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 am

interesting video
Cant see 200 mil building it and still cant see how it will turn a profit
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 pm

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu May 29, 2014 8:09 pm

I still cant see how it would of ever got off the ground anyway.
thats 2 out of three down. The third (hollyford Haast Highway) still early days planning. I dont like it either but can see more logic in it It would make Invercargil more important on the tourist route It would bypass Queenstown completely and it would cut hours off a trip to the west coast from the southern half of the island. However some cynics on another forum I belong to think the road will only be built as far as Red hills and the real target is mining
On the first 2 at least Nick would have got my vote except for his choice of party.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Fri May 30, 2014 10:49 am

geeves wrote: I dont like it either but can see more logic in it It would make Invercargil more important on the tourist route It would bypass Queenstown completely and it would cut hours off a trip to the west coast from the southern half of the island.

Hmmm why would you want Invercargill on the tourist route? It's a dismal place.
It won't cut down travel time for the southern half. Only from some areas in the extreme south west.
EG it would be a longer trip from Dunedin via that road.

Most tourists heading to Milford will want to go to Queenstown as well.
However you could skip down the coast to Milford then back up to Queenstown/Wanaka and up through the lakes.
That would be a good trip
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Fri May 30, 2014 2:14 pm

I quite like Invercargil to visit. Cant be worse than Wellington and all tourists visit here
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Sat May 31, 2014 7:24 am

Hmmm my reply crashed!

But yeah, Invercargill? Is a couple of things to do there. But I'll be in no hurry to return. Spent a couple of days there and then 3 in the Catlins last November.
If I went again it would be 1 in Invercargill and 2 in the Catlins. Central Otago has a lot more for me. Some good 4wd tracks, the Old Dunstan road was a good look. Just don't do the very middle section.... Grumpy farmer didn't like us following the road through his farm. Even though there is no signs saying not to do that section or anything to depict it's a different farm from the last section. :oops:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Sat May 31, 2014 7:33 am

Dunstan is a nice drive. Ive only done the first half but My father has done both sections on a bicycle
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Sat May 31, 2014 7:38 am

If you could only do one half, I think the first half has the most variation of terrain. Some good views. You can see a long way without seeing anything man made in places.
At various places you can still see the first fences they built, using rock pillars as posts as there is no trees for wood!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Return to The Bar