• Advertisement

the gadget has landed

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 pm

I've been a member for quite a few years and time to put a post up. I recognise quite a few names on here from other forums, mudgrip4, muzila, tweake.

Have had a couple of early Bighorns for a few years as disposable vehicles for young fellas to hack around a riverbed in that I towed out behind an old Safari. The first one was a laugh, after about 20 minutes someone comes running back into camp, "The Bighorn is stuck, it might need a tow out." The driest part of the engine was about 200mm under water. The engine bay was full of oil. Pulled the bung out the bottom, replaced the filter, put new oil in, turned the key and it was off again. I was impressed by the way that little thing got around pushed along with the little C223.

That old Safari has gone AWOL so now I am looking at purchasing a replacement vehicle shortly. Top of the list at the moment is another Bighorn. Oh and put in some good security in case the thieves come back.
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby geeves » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:50 pm

The old 2.8 bighorns (square body up to 91) and the 2.6 petrols were virtually indestructible as you know but they are getting long in the tooth and very hard to get a nice one. Rust is taking its toll and mine might not get another wof because of it. Its only got 214k on the clock and still has a straight panel (the small tailgate door)
The next model the 3.1 motor is still very good but do check for evidence of overheating. They have been known to crack heads and a whine on shutdown from the turbo means a new turbo in the next 1 to 18 months. The v6 is as reliable as any petrol engine but likes a drink of Z or BP on a regular basis.
The next model diesel from 98 onwards is the famous 4jx1 engine. Truely a magic engine Whether that is white or black magic is up for debate. 120kw and 35 miles to the gallon when going well but if they play up most mechanics dont want to know. A google of 4jx1 will tell the story. Good they are very good but it would always be a gamble. The v6 is much the same as the earlier v6
Transmissions are as reliable as comparable ones
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
User avatar
geeves
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8422
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: wellington
Age: 55
Country: NZ
City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2004 Honda CRV

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby muzila » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Hello gadget... I didn't know you where lurking around this neck of the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Small world isn't it. You just never know who is watching you. :roll: :roll: :roll:
muzila
Site Admin
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 8:00 am
Age: 48
Country: New Zealand
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56 pm

geeves wrote:The old 2.8 bighorns (square body up to 91) and the 2.6 petrols were virtually indestructible as you know but they are getting long in the tooth and very hard to get a nice one. Rust is taking its toll and mine might not get another wof because of it. Its only got 214k on the clock and still has a straight panel (the small tailgate door)
The next model the 3.1 motor is still very good but do check for evidence of overheating. They have been known to crack heads and a whine on shutdown from the turbo means a new turbo in the next 1 to 18 months. The v6 is as reliable as any petrol engine but likes a drink of Z or BP on a regular basis.
The next model diesel from 98 onwards is the famous 4jx1 engine. Truely a magic engine Whether that is white or black magic is up for debate. 120kw and 35 miles to the gallon when going well but if they play up most mechanics dont want to know. A google of 4jx1 will tell the story. Good they are very good but it would always be a gamble. The v6 is much the same as the earlier v6
Transmissions are as reliable as comparable ones


Now hold your horses and take a seat. I picked up a wizard yesterday with the infamous 4jx1, was very very good nick and a pretty low price. Wouldn't start this afternoon. Don't panic though the tailgate wasn't shut and the interior lights flattened the battery. I figured that going by what they are selling for on TM I could flick it on for a gain of $2-3K, if it dies I'll drop a 4jg2 or something into it and still be less than what they are selling for. Just something I can get around in for the next few weeks

Oh and of course Mr Murphy stuck his head up the following day and I found what I was looking for. Ideally the 2.8 would be good but they are getting rare and long in the tooth so looking for a 3.1. Not quite as robust but peppier, ... not that I tend to use much power anyway.

All the fun of the fair.
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm

muzila wrote:Hello gadget... I didn't know you where lurking around this neck of the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Small world isn't it. You just never know who is watching you. :roll: :roll: :roll:


Will you hear me louder on here or if I just stick my head out the door, you are only a couple of hundred metres away.

If things go pear shaped I know where I can get hold of an engine crane at least. ;)

Damned inconvenient so close to opening. :x
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby geeves » Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 pm

re 4jx1 The motor itself is as good as any isuzu diesel Its the things on the outside that will do your head in.
First use only good synthetic oil no thicker than 5w40. 0w40 is even better. Otherwise it wont start on cold mornings not that there is going to start.
Second keep an eye on oil level. If it increases panic. This is a sign of the injectors leaking internally. Its a 500 repair but if it doesnt get repaired one of 2 things happen Most likely the diesel contaminated oil will score the bores or occasionally the diesel boils in the sump giving the engine a nice running mixture and the car will take off faster than it ever has. This is whether you want it to or not. It could be embarrassing in a traffic jam
third keep an eye on oil leaks An oil leak at one of the oil pressure senders can run down inside the loom and destroy the computer.
Just when we had told you all the good parts of the engine we should mention some of the bad.
Not all the sensors throw up error codes. Rough running and hard starting can be caused by bad sensors. But which ones?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
User avatar
geeves
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8422
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: wellington
Age: 55
Country: NZ
City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2004 Honda CRV

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Thu May 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks geeves

Only planing on keeping it a few weeks but will keep an eagle eye on everything. Started easy as this morning (2 degrees C) with some juice in the battery. Sure drives well. If all goes well the replacement could be here within a couple more days.

Have to say that it is nice to drive and quite roomy.
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby muzila » Thu May 01, 2014 6:41 pm

gadgetman wrote:
muzila wrote:Hello gadget... I didn't know you where lurking around this neck of the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Small world isn't it. You just never know who is watching you. :roll: :roll: :roll:


Will you hear me louder on here or if I just stick my head out the door, you are only a couple of hundred metres away.

If things go pear shaped I know where I can get hold of an engine crane at least. ;)

Damned inconvenient so close to opening. :x


Engine crane.... hhhmmm :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I thought you owned one, :D :D :D

I not sure which one your closer to, me house or me lockups. lol. either way we can get ya sorted out!.

Where you shooting opening morning?
muzila
Site Admin
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 8:00 am
Age: 48
Country: New Zealand
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 pm

muzila wrote:
gadgetman wrote:
muzila wrote:Hello gadget... I didn't know you where lurking around this neck of the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Small world isn't it. You just never know who is watching you. :roll: :roll: :roll:


Will you hear me louder on here or if I just stick my head out the door, you are only a couple of hundred metres away.

If things go pear shaped I know where I can get hold of an engine crane at least. ;)

Damned inconvenient so close to opening. :x


Engine crane.... hhhmmm :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I thought you owned one, :D :D :D

I not sure which one your closer to, me house or me lockups. lol. either way we can get ya sorted out!.

Where you shooting opening morning?


Off to Wolfes again this year. Didn't even fire a shot last opening. Two weeks before we would have pushed quite a few hundred off adding the final touches to the maimai.

Must say the little BOMB is fun to drive. Wonder if I could pick up the older model with the 3.1 as a spare vehicle. They are as cheap as chips.
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby muzila » Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 am

Hot barrels Gadget and stay safe. Goes for anyone else that will be out on opening morning! :) :) :)
muzila
Site Admin
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 8:00 am
Age: 48
Country: New Zealand
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Fri May 02, 2014 7:30 am

muzila wrote:Hot barrels Gadget and stay safe. Goes for anyone else that will be out on opening morning! :) :) :)


Likewise muzila. Just one more sleep, well for those that can.
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari

Re: the gadget has landed

Postby gadgetman » Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Looks like I found myself a vehicle.

The little wizard went well too. Almost 350km so far and not even half a tank gone. Thankfully the wonderful power plant is still good.
gadgetman
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Age: 46
Country: NZ
City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bigborn x 3
Nissan Safari


Return to The Bar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests