• Advertisement

4JX1 Wont Start

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JX1 Wont Start

Postby stevenz11 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Ok a friend of mine has got me to have a look at her 99 Wizard with a 4jx1. It wont start. When cranking it chuffy whiteish smoke out the exhaust and will show no signs of life, once the oil pressure light starts to flicker and go out it begins to want to start and on occasion it will run but really really really badly and not for long - loads of smoke! It also looks as though it has diesel in the coolant. Is it possible that the injector sleeve o-rings are stuffed and some on the fuel is being sent to the coolant passages, not allowing the engine to run as its not getting enough fuel?
Cheers
stevenz11
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 95 Bighorn Manual

Re: 4JX1 Wont Start

Postby isuzurob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Your on to it, there are so many issues with these engines, but having diesel in the water would be the injector sleeves and orings or a corroded alloy head were the sleeves seat to the head very common, other starting issues are o rings on the oil pick up in the sump, rail pressure sensor, air in the fuel filter if it has factory fuel filter down on chassis rail, glow plugs(not that common though), and the major one is incorrect oil and non genuine filters, i use to laugh at the last one but at work have seen the last one fix 3 now never had another issue with them
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

diesel in water or oil is injector o ring problems I would of thought it would still start though. The slow oil pressure could be too thick oil as above and no oil pressure = no start
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stevenz11 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Sorry I forgot to reply to this. I fixed it the next day. replaced the injector sleeve o-rings, no4 cylinder lower o-ring was the worst. Also had to drain diesel out of coolant and flush. New thermostat seal needed as the diesel had swollen and softened it. Also had to remove the fuel tank (no drain - yet another stupid idea Isuzu had with this POS car) and clean it, remove all the coolant that was in it and replace the fuel filter which was also full of coolant. Put it all back together and its alive again... for now
stevenz11
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 95 Bighorn Manual

Postby half65 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

I see someone has posted that start problems could be oil filter. last oil and filter 3000 km ago I put fleetguard filters on from cummings diesel. Should I have used genuine Isuzu ones.? I have never used them,always used fleetguard.Normally it take a heat up, crank 4-5 times it will fire once then stop hit start again and it lights up. With the recent cold weather it takes a wee bit more to go ok once it has been running
I could be wrong but the oil pressure opens the injectors ,and as such it take a few cranks to build up pressure , then it fires .Is that right?
half65
Isuzu Baby

City: palmerston north
Vehicle: opel wizard 4jx1 motor 1998

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm

true but almost so. There are 2 filters on the engine. The big one is the normal oil filter that does all the work The small one only feeds oil to the injectors and is I believe a standard Corrola filter and only needs changing every now and then. Bigger issue esspecially in the current cold weather is the grade of oil. Synthetic 5w40 or even better 0w40. Anything heavier and you will have starting problems.
Current weather and even my brand new company hiace was hesitant this morning
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby ronaldkessel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi,

I need a design schematic for Injector Sleeve Puller for my 4JX1 as well, Same problem but mine has diesel fuel in the Radiator mixed with Water or coolant.
Please help if there are anyone here that has a design for Injector Sleeve Puller that I can bring to my local fabricator so I can finally pull the sleeve out and check the O Rings, no body from around my place knows how to get that sleeve out.

Thanks
Ronald
ronaldkessel
I'm only here for the information

City: Caloocan City
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper 2002 model wiith 4JX1 Engine

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

I think the tool is genuine Isuzu part only. Rob might have a part number or trick. Hes done a few of these engines
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:39 pm

i dont work for holden anymore, but tool has two arms with hooks on the end and a thread down the centre to push the arms out, the hooks fit into the two holes in the sleeves then has an outer casing that sits on the head with a thread on that that you wind down and it pulls the sleeve out, i have only seen damaged heads without the tool, the oil filter for the injectors is meant to be changed every 20,000km i use to do them every sevice
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby half65 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:20 pm

my wizzy seems a lot better since I changed to Penrite 5-30 fully syn oil. Looking around the forums it seems this oil ,along with Castrol edge has a "low dew point" this means it stays reasonably thin at lower temps, I wait until the airbag light stops flashing count to 5 then hit it. Unless there is frost on the ground it starts after about 6-8 spins. If it is frosty it needs another heat ,but fires then after 1-3 spins. It sits outside. Just bought a full set of 3 engine filters $36.11NZ fuel /oil from Cummins FF5138 LF16267 LF3462
half65
Isuzu Baby

City: palmerston north
Vehicle: opel wizard 4jx1 motor 1998

Return to Engine