• Advertisement

Hi, new here and leaking pump

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

Hi, new here and leaking pump

Postby BCC1994 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi there,

I have only just stumbled on this site after owning my current '94 Jackaroo 3.1TD for 5 years and my previous one of the same year and model for 10 years before that. It looks like a good lot of info.

Current problem is a leaking injector pump which I've been quoted $1,500 to $2,000 to repair. I've degreased and just can't see where the leak is coming from. I'm assuming the pump needs to come off for any repairs.

On another note, I'm confused by the numerous references to the timing belt on 4JG2 engines. My 4JG2 has gears for timing. Are there really 2 different engines with the same identifier?

Cheers,
Bruce
BCC1994
Isuzu Baby

City: Jerrabomberra
Vehicle: Jackaroo 1994 3.1TD

Re: Hi, new here and leaking pump

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:47 pm

The gear drive 4jg2 is pretty much unique to the Jackeroo Its identifiable by the alloy timing cover where the belt drive version has a black plastic timing cover.
The common places for these to leak are the top seal the accelerator linkage seal the front seal and the plate on the back of the pump. They can be changed in place but you would be hard pressed to find someone to do anything other than the top seal that way and anything to do with the pump would have an experts only rating on the home handyman scale.If the pump does come off you might as well get the full rebuild. Ive just had a similar pump done in my Wizard and it runs better now as well. Mine cost $1100 NZ
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby iananita » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Assume it has got some mileage on it? Get rebuild done, other seals inside pump will start letting go. Diesel can get into oil with gear driven pumps if seals are failing.
Yes, will cost at least $1000 if you can pull it off.
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby BCC1994 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies so quick. Yes, it has 360K on it as well as needing ball joints, steering idler, shocks etc which starts to beg the question about whether it's money well spent. I was a mechanic early in my career so I do my own work but I've never worked on diesels except for filters, valve clearance etc. I've never timed a pump. Thing is they're such a good, simple, unpretentious yet functional vehicle. I guess it's cheaper to fix than buy again.

Bruce
BCC1994
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:06 am

You have to look at the vehicle and decide. If its rusting or battered it might not be worth fixing but if its nice it is. If the motor is running well with little or no oil consumption it should run another 100000km or more
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BCC1994 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi there,

Well I have bitten the bullet and pulled the injection pump out to have it rebuilt. I was trying to measure the current timing with a dial gauge so that I would know how it was; just in case things didn't go well. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a reading the same as the manual. Now that it is out, I have read about the cold start device (CSD) impacting the static timing. My manual referred to a wax CSD, which might be on a different model. Mine is a coolant operated, spring loaded affair. My question is: how do I disable the CSD to allow correct setting of the timing when I reassemble? Do I just turn the lever against the spring and jam something in there? Do I take off the spring (very strong) to make that movement easier? Do I leave it in place and reset it to the lift I measured. I'll attach a picture of the CSD in case that helps. Hmmm, not sure how to include a pic.

Thanks,
Bruce
BCC1994
Isuzu Baby

Return to The Bar